Friday, May 13, 2005

Candy Everybody Wants

Ok, well, I wasn't going to post tonight, but I just somehow stumbled upon this blog that had this discussion of 1970's candy, and an ode to Bubble Yum - well, slap my ass and call me Judy, because it was just yesterday that we were discussing Bubble Yum. Any other children of the 70's remember when Bubble Yum came out? It's really scary how my generation seemed to grow up on sugar and television, it really is. I remember how much I loved Bubble Yum, and then seeing the commercials on Saturday morning television saying that there was this new grape flavor. Well, keep in mind, I am in Canada, which means we never get all the cool stuff that the states has, so one weekend when we were going across the border to shop (I lived at the border then, and we used to go to the States to buy certain things like cheese and shit - I have no idea why - I should ask my Mama). So, we go across the line, as my Daddio would say, and I almost soil myself because I see grape AND spearmint Bubble Yum. I thought I died and went to gum heaven. Add to that my Hershey bar (you can't get just the plain, brown wrapper bars in Canada, I don't know why), and I was one happy little bugger. So think about how riddiculous that is - I am freaking out for gum. But remember how little things like candy just occupied your time as a kid? Remember Fun Dip? Or Apsen, the apple flavored soda? Or those cinnamon toothpicks? God, I remember it was also such a big deal to go to the states to pick up Boo-Berry cereal, and Frankenberry, and Fruitie Pebbles... Yup, good times....
Hey, anyone remember Farrah Faucett shampoo? Or how about Body on Tap, with the Beer in it, or Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific? I still have like 1/2 a bottle of it somewhere - I had this idea it would be worth something someday on ebay or something. I still remember my sister washing her hair with the "3 step" Vidal Sasson process, and that stuff always had an undercurrent scent of dogshit.
LOL, this post is going nowhere. I was going to post about my last trip to the states, when the fucking border guards hauled me in, but maybe tomorrow.... Hey, one question - anyone remember Sambo's, the restaurant chain in the states? Man, to think there was a chain 25 yrs ago called Sambos.... good lord.
Anyway, I better run. Have a great weekend, y'all.
JT

4 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, Judy! hahah! I remember Bubble Yum...I also remember Wig Wag chocolate bars, which I loved! I remember the first year that they made Cadbury's Easter Creme Egg...I was in Grade 7. I am still addicted to them. I also remember a milk drink called Super 2, they had these really provocative commercials (tame by today's standards!) and when they pulled them off the air, you couldn't find Super 2 anywhere! So we used to sing "Oooooh super 2, it makes teenage boys want to screw..."
What about those wax lips? Or the wax tubes with the sweet syrup in them? You can still get fun dip, my kids love it! I remember when you could get a pop, a bag of chips, a chocolate bar for a buck and still have change enough for a couple of tar babies. Good times, good times!
Did you know that you can't get Ketchup chips in the states? That is a travesty!

 
At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AH Bubble Yum, I still pick up a pack every couple years.. Man is it sweet,, I usually get the original flavor, though i do remember when grape came out.. That was a big deal.

My fave junk foods when I was a kid was Orange Crush (or lime or Grape) and sour cream and onion chips. I remember staying at my dads for the summer in PA and basically drinking the stuff like water.. Dad always made sure we had money for Pop and chips...
Oh by the way are you american? Cause up here in Canada we call Pop 'pop', Not Soda.


M

 
At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. Missing my morning posts.Fill us in on whats happening in JT's world..

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Brian said...

JT,

First of all, I must say that my favorite junk food as a kid would have to be Rolo's. Damn, I loved them! Also, I loved those Hostess cakes called Chocodiles! I don't even know if they still make those. Now, I see why I am constantly battling my fat ass. Old habits die hard!

Thanks so much for your awesome post on my blog the other day. I had a busy weekend and didn't have a chance reply until today.

You know, I think that you made some fantastic points. When I look back at my youth, I think that I was not as effected by being gay so much as just not fitting in. When you are really young, you don't understand the "gay" thing, so much as the fact that you know you are so different than everyone else. I knew that I wasn't interested in most anything that most boys in my class were. I didn't play with them on the playground...I didn't socialize with them unless I had to. My best friends growing up were also female. I just gravitated towards them. So, I can totally relate to your experience.

I did try to overcompensate for not having male friends when I went to college and joined a fraternity. I looked at it as a chance to start over, but I quickly realized that I was being someone that I wasn't. Since that time I have had many male friends, some gay and some straight. Now, I feel that I am actually able to bond with straight men in some ways, maybe because I am finally comfortable with who I am. You remind me a lot of my best friend in college. He was straight and had never really had male friends until college. He wasn't interested in sports and other things that most guys were. So, he and I really had a lot in common...plus, he had a great sense of humor.

Anyway, I thought your post was really awesome...you have a great way of expressing yourself through writing.

Hope you are having a good week!

Brian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home