Sunday, March 27, 2005

kd lang, Flashback, and the pride of the square.

Very quick post because I have to get to bed. Just had to comment about a bio of kd lang I picked up at Value Village. It was written in 1993, so it's pretty dated and it's written by a sister I think, so it's gonna be some political thing, but there are some interesting things there. The funny thing I just read was that kd (or Kathy, as she was known at the time), moved to Edmonton and hung out with all these avant garde people and they say how they always hung out at the "gay disco" Flashback. Well, I just about died, because I think Flashback was the first bar I ever got into. Don't know about the "disco" part, because I was only there on Thursday nights, which was "alternative" night when the "trendites" would come out, meaning the people dressed in black and shit, lol, which I so wasn't. When I went to Edmonton with my folks, I always went to Flash with Cinthia, and she'd try to spiff me up by putting eyeliner on me and spiking my hair, but I was still a white Bill Cosby no matter how hard I tried. Flash WAS awesome though on Thursday nights, and I remember just dancing so hard and so long I'd be soaking wet and couldn't breathe, and it would always sober me up. The Bronx was even more fun, but Flash was my first bar and I thought it was the coolest place. We'd have to stand outside for half an hour to get someone to let us in, too.
I remember when we took Margo there. I was in Edmonton visiting Cinthia and Max, and I drove down with Rachel's uncle Peter and cousin Velma. They went to Flash with us that night and then Margo and Freddie were in town too and they came, and it was fun, and we all danced together all night and I remember dancing with Peter and had no idea he was gay, and he would sorta just start dancing with other people too, and I thought he was just friendly.. LOL. But the best part of that night was Margo sitting at this table, having a smoke, and this big fucking drag queen came in and sauntered down these stairs, and he/she was all loud and obnoxious, and totally gussied up and I thought she was gonna swallow her cigarette because it looked like she was coming straight for her. I remember thinking "let's just go dance and ignore this person" because this queen was frightening and I think I just grabbed Freddie and said let's dance - LOL, Freddie and I danced together to be cool.... LOL, bunch of fucking hillbilly losers, weren't we? But back to the story - Oh but the look on Margo's face, because the drag queen was coming straight for her... LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
But you know, the thing is, it was always too hard going out with them in Edmonton, because although I was a drunk, and I love new wave music and dancing all night, we could never go out dancing until after 12, and then we'd have to stay at these fucking clubs into 4 or 5 in the morning, and I was already ready for bed 2 hours before, and then if I had to stay with them, they'd still stay up until 6 listening to music, and then they'd sleep all day, and I'd want to be up by noon, hitting the mall or enjoying the sunshine, or eating a meal, but they would sleep all day and moan about how gross the daylight was. So, yeah, just realized I am a square.
Anyway, gotta get to bed. Keryn is sick - was crying off and on all night last night, and then had a fever all day. I gave her motrin at 9, so it should last until 3 or 4, so I better go sleep while the sleeping is good. I am home tomorrow though, so that's nice.
I'll blog tomorrow perhaps!
Sweet dreams of Easter almost past,
JT

1 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a question, who is fred. Can't remember who would have come to edmonton with me.. Oh is this the trip that Ken Ronnie and I drove there and we stayed at the scary apt? lol I remember Freds 399 breakfast that he went on and on about. or was it 299 lol. and of course we had no money so you bought some bread and peanut butter..
That apt still freaks me out especially the elevator.. Ah good times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home