Friday, March 25, 2005

It's My Party, and I'll Ramble on About My Birthdays if I Want To

Well another year has come and gone, and for once I didn't get sentimental. Props to me, dawg. I usually get all pissy and emotional and "Circle Game-ish" but lo and behold, it hasn't happened. I am just sitting here downloading oodles of Heart songs since I can't find any of my Heart cds (as I said, cds are in a big frigging mess that I don't want to talk about - right now listening to "Straight On" which is conjuring up memories like a son of a gun from my childhood, but still no emotions), having a huge glass of wine (yes, wine, it's my birthday, and I'll have a glass of wine if I want to), and just debating if I should go have my bath now or blog for a bit.

Well, it was a good day. It started out with Keryn poking me in the nose and saying "hey, you know what today is? Your birthday!" We finished cleaning the frigging house finally at about 1:00, and then Rach and Keryn went shopping and I put Kimmy to sleep and then finished up my chores. They came home and gave me my present which was a stereo! I've been wanting one for like 2 years, and I said just this morning "we gotta get a stereo!" so it was a nice surprise. Haven't hooked it up yet, but it will be awesome. I've wanted one to hook to the tv so we can finally use those damn music channels on the digital cable. Hey, listening to Alison Kraus right now. She sure has a nice voice. But anyway, I digress....

So the turkey trauma. It was quite funny, because the fucking thing was frozen as all hell this morning, and I couldn't even get the damn "cavity" open to stuff it. This is after first realizing that we didn't have a roaster big enough, but Rach ran to her sister's to get one. So I called my mom all in a panic and she told me to just run hot water over and in it, so I did, and then realized I couldn't remember what the hell to do, since I hadn't cooked a turkey in like 10 years. I was all "do you keep the neck in this hole or what?" and then after we got it all stuffed, I was all "wing side up or leg side up?" and we had a good laugh. I made the best stuffing too, to toot my own horn. I think it was the best stuffing I've had in years. Props to the dawg again.
Everyone seemed to have a good time. It was fun, and I got a couple funny gifts. My sister Lois bought me this cheesy trophy from some seniors shuffleboard tournament in some town nobody has heard of. Then, my sister Libby's friend Susan came and brought me this god-awful craft and this velvet horse picture (joke gifts, I hope you realize). Libby also gave us binoculars so we can spy more effectively, since she lives across the street.

Listening to CSN "Just a Song Before I Go" - this mellowness makes me want a smoke. Will the urge ever completely go away? Oh I know, I am going to put on New Moon on Monday, and try to listen to the lyrics - that should be fun.
Anyway, that's the day in a nutshell. Keryn was so cute. She cried when everyone left. I found her on the couch with a kleenex and tears rolling, so we went and painted eggs. Of course, Kim had to do the exact same thing she was, as that's all she wants to do is copy her sister. Oh my babes are the cutest things ever. Can't wait to go snuggle them tonight - Kim sleeps in our bed, and every night keryn will wake up sometime and I'll go spend the rest of the night with her in her bed. Yeah, save the lectures - I cherish any time I get to be with them, so keep it to yourself.
Oh my God, this song is just so ridiculous now that I know the lyrics. Shit, it was one of my favorite Duran Duran songs too....

Well, as I sit here, I am going to reminisce on past birthdays, just for myself, so you can skip this self-indulgence Margo.
1977 - My first and only big birthday party, with all the school kids. I hated every frigging moment of it. I thought I was too cool, and hated all the balloons and noisemakers and stuff. My mom has a picture somewhere of everyone blowing their horns and stuff, and I am just sneering with this horrified look on my face. It was too "childish" for me. I really was a strange kid. Anyway, I remember the only thing I liked was playing musical pillows because I got to play my new "Disco Fire" record (2 album set - bought it for Donna Summer track). That was the last party much to everyone's relief. Funny now that I think of it, all the kids there were white. Yet, the Res was literally touching our backyard. Right behind our year was the Skwah Reserve.... that really disturbs me now to think of, but whatever....
1978 - This was when i got my basketball net and basketball. It was so exciting, but instead of mounting the thing on a piece of board, my Dad nailed it straight into the house, so it was forever wobbly and becoming loose.... but damn, I loved that present.
1979 - hmmmm, I remember it was really warm and Sus and I had two glasses of Baby Duck each, and then we went outside and laid on the lawn and rolled down the hill... lol, stupid memory.
1980- I got my Kenmore stereo that year. I was so excited! Libby also gave me ALL of her records, so I was pissing myself. They included Fleetwood Mac's white album and Rumours, Gerry Rafferty, Heart, LRB, Gary Wright, Dark Side of the Moon.... oh man, there were lots. Lois also gave me this awesome K-TEL album, Gold Rock or something, and it had "Renegade" by Styx on it. So that was a good one.
1981 - Major gift that year was my new Bible with the leather case. This was when I was heavily immersed in the church I was going to, Glad Tidings. It was a really charismatic church, which broke away from the Chilliwack Pentecostal Assembly. I was going to church on Tuesday evenings and sometimes twice on Sundays. I was so excited to get this Bible because it was in contemporary language. Libby had to go pick it out for Mom and Dad at the Bible Store in Sardis.
1982- I don't think I have any memory of this one, but since it was my first birthday in Saskatchewan, and we had just moved, and I was so horribly depressed, it's probably just as well. I had no friends, no siblings here.... it was just a horrible time in my life. Let's move on. (LOL, I am listening to "Same Auld lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg, so I might get meloncholy now).
1983 - I remember this was spent in Indian Head because Uncle Roy's birthday was the 27th. We went into Regina for some reason, and it was storming like a son of bitch. We had lunch at the Copper Kettle, and then when we went back to Indian Head, I opened my presents, and among them were the tapes I ordered from Columbia House! I got Rosanne Cash's "Seven Year Ache", Alan Parson's Project's "Eye in the Sky", Charlene's "I've Never Been to Me", Men at Work's "Business as Usual", Journey's "Escape" (I think?- when was it released?), Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger", and I can't remember the rest. Remember, this was back in the day when Columbia House didn't distribute WEA (Warner, Elektra, or Atlantic) labels, so there was nothing to pick!
1984 - No memory of this one either. I would have been a miserable teenager, so probably just as well that I don't remember.
1985 - I remember this one, because I was in "Twelfth Night" during this week, so I was so nervous that I stole the bottle of Gravol out of my mom's purse and took them like candy.... lol, was this an indication of a need for tranquilizers or what? I remember this day so well because Libby's mother in law was visiting so she came too, and we had lasagna and angel food cake decorated with strawberries and kiwi, and I was so nervous I couldn't really eat. I also got a Betamax for this birthday and I really wanted a ghetto blaster, but my sister Leslie demanded I keep it because it was a family gift... stupidest decision I ever made.... I also remember my bestest friend from BC called me and sounded all drugged out, so I guess that should have been an indication that it probably was best I did get out of there, at least for the teen years.
1986 - I remember Peggy got my stupid birthday put over the intercom at Carlton. I also remember that it was snowing and blowing like a son of a bitch, and I didn't want to walk home, so I had to wait until like 5 at school for Dad to pick me up. Libby's mother in law was here again, and all I really remember is getting "Cupid and Psyche '85" by Scritti Polliti, and being so happy to have that tape, but of course I spoke of that whole album earlier.
1987- It was really hot that day, and I remember getting a new pair of 501's. No, wait, not 501's - 531s? Anyway, the super slim Levi's I liked... LOL, it had to be super slim too, because I liked them tight! LOLOL, and even though I was a little pipsqueak when I think of it now, I still had my big hammy legs, and I remember how it was always hard to peel those things off of my thighs. I also got this green sweater, forest green, and this weird light green one that was made out of some strange fabric that was bleachable. Can't remember what music I got that year either, which disturbs me. Margo gave me a coupon for a free dinner for one at WK. I remember we actually went out for this chinese food too, but we were too cheap to even get a pop with our food.
1988- I remember getting the Dirty Dancing Soundtrack, of all things, and I am thinking I must have got some Cure too, because that's when I was really heavily into my goth/new wave thing. No WAIT, I know I got Joni's chalk mark in a rainstorm sometime, so I think it was then... I know that Lana baked me a birthday cake, and me and her and Tim and Ronnie and chickenhead had cake during our spare at Mr. Mikes at 2:30. That was nice. I also remember Greg came over to her house that night and she got laid and had to call me and say "I just got laid on your birthday, isn't that funny?" yeah, real funny. I think then Margo picked me up and we went to see the whore and all those SIAST mechanics people up at their townhouse, and it was really boring. Sometime tells me someone had an argument or something but I don't remember?
1989 - Started out going to Lolita's house and Lolita, Darius, and Margo bought me a bottle of Sambucca, so we lit them on fire and did shots for a while. Hey Margs, don't you miss Lolita's mom?? Anyway, went drinking with Leslie, the sister for a bit, and went to the bar and I don't remember much, but I know the next day I was sleeping on the couch and my mom was all worried I was going to drool on her new furniture. I remember getting my bar card made that day - I think we saw good old Pearline there, didn't we?
1990 - Dawn Bear made me supper - spaghetti and salad and wine, and gave me this huge Cure poster. Musta went to the bar, but I don't remember. Rach bought me underwear, I think? I still have it, if this is when she bought it for me. I know I tried it on in the car as she was driving to be funny, and this cop was tailing us, and I was completely freaking out because I couldn't get my pants back on.
1991 - No clue.
1992 - this was a great day. Rach took me to Amy's for lunch and then we went shopping and her uncle bought me a pair of jean shorts, and then my folks had us for dinner and she also gave me a cake from Baskin Robbins and got me flowers. It was a great day.
1993 - LOL, I remember I had class on this day, and I was put on the spot and had to sit up front and answer questions about this essay I wrote which was good or something. The funny thing is my clothes. I was wearing my turquiose jeans, and my striped sweater with brown and turquoise in it. This was along with my blue and tan suede shoes..... I cooked a big pot of minestrone soup and Brent and Patty came over, and Rach's sister and her boyfriend came over and they gave me a book, 200% Cracked Wheat.

Ok, enough of the rambling. By the way, this isn't to bore you Margo, my lone reader, but I am also using this as a diary so I can remember things.
I am going up to have more cake and go to bed.
Happy Easter,
JT

2 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear you had a good birthday, and it wasn't toooo boring to read about your past birthdays.. really. Just kidding. I am impressed once again by your memory, I can barely remember what I did last year for my birthday. The last one I can recall is my 30th cause my friends through me that surprise party which was really cool, before that it was probably my 18th at Lolitas house probably because I have a pic of that one on my computer desk.

well I hope you have a good easter, Glad to hear there was no turkey emergencies lol.

Ciao

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Rox said...

I love this one. Mostly because of the turquoise and brown sweater. And the Betamax. LOLOLOOLOL!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home