Monday, March 21, 2005

One Day at a Time Reunion post mortem

Ok, I need to discuss this - huge fan of One Day at a Time. Almost shit myself when I saw the reunion episode was on. However, there were nevertheless some things that just ANNOYED the hell out of me. First, Bonnie Franklin is still coming across to me as this moody, grouchy, "I'm too good for everything" type of woman. I noticed it back in the day, and noticed it now. Margo was all impressed at how Bonnie didn't age, but hell, neither has Linda Lavin. What does that have to do with anything you say? I don't know.....
Second, they were all blabbing away about these old episodes like they were some real event. Now, anyone who knows me knows that I tend to take my classic sitcoms seriously, but come on! I completely wanted to puke when Bonnie says "When you were in that hotel room, my heart was breaking because I was wanted to just hug you and get you out of there and I knew how confused you were" and I was just sitting there thinking "huh"? I mean, her heart was BREAKING because her character is arguing with her character's daughter, who is shacked up in a hotel, and you are talking about the "heartbreak" 30 years later? Good Lord, who knew the Stanislovsky method or whatever was alive and well in "Indianapoilis" on the set of One Day at a Time....
Third thing that struck me was how damn good Mackenzie Phillips looked. whoo hoooo, she is doing good.
Forth, Valerie Bertinelli was a childhood obsession, and I used to write her letters and I had posters all over my walls, and I remember my childhood fantasy of us getting married, and posing for the cover of People magazine, in matching satin jackets, each with a hand in each other's back pockets of our tight designer jeans, and holding cans of Bud - don't ask me why the Bud thing - just to show how BAD we were, with our May/December (December/May?) romance or something. I had much the same fantasies about Stevie Nicks, but those involved me becoming a young member of Fleetwood Mac, and rerecording Rumours, and virtually pushing Lindsey out of the picture, so all the drama was focused on me and Stevie. Anyhow, that's another entry. So back to Val - she really hasn't aged, has she? And she still seems sweet and grounded. However, while I would still love to name my next daughter Rhiannon, something about naming that kid Wolfgang just makes me wonder what the hell is happening with her. I mean, they all say Edward was so nice, but she stayed with him through the drinking and the affairs, and then names her kid Wolfie - something is fucked up there. So, that was the one thing that kinda doesn't seem right. I sure wish she would have gotten Kelly Ripa's job - she'd be so good in there.
Next, I don't have anything to say about the rest, except for Glen Scarpelli. It completely bothered me that he was even on this show, and I just, I hate to say it, hated his character almost as much as I hated Danielle Brisbois on All in the Family and Archie's Place. BUT, watching this reunion, he seemed to have turned out to be a nice man. Still can't stand the character - the only thing I remember him doing is burning down Schneider's trailer, and making Ann paprika toast instead of cinnamon toast. Maybe him and Danielle Brisbois could get married, and cousin Oliver from the Brady Bunch could give her away....
Margo and I always had such a time in high school discussing the theme song to the show - the words still don't come easy - WHUP on your feet!
Anyway, I better stop - tomorrow we will discuss the shows I want to see on DVD and why. Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol, I love the way you dissect these characters.. Very illuminating.. lol And I really think you should give up your Linda Lavin obsession.. She really wasn't that good of a lounge singer. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home