Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Hoo Ha, Six O'clock

Whoa, didn't think I'd actually get here. I couldn't get any internet connection, and I couldn't pick up the neighbor's either, so I thought I was hooped (I hate that expression, but someone said it to me today and it sounded so absurd I had to use it). However, I pulled a Chunks and unplugged my router and voila, the damn thing is singing like a singer.
Anyhoo, I am fighting off a headache right now so I don't know if I will be able to write much, as I am on the couch and yada yada. At this moment I have the song "Head Over Heals" by Tears for Fears going through my head continuously and I have no idea why. I haven't heard it for years, and I don't even know if it's a good song or if it's just a nostalgia thing that I like it - I am pretty sure back in the day I didn't much care for that song, as I preferred their song "Mother's Talk" but I bet if I heard it now, I'd think it sucked. So, it's pretty sad when you come to a point in your life where you have to evaluate if you actually like something, or if it's just the nostalgia card being played. Ah, I can tell already this will be a boring post.
So nothing much to report. I had a meeting in Saskatoon yesterday so we took the kids and spent the night which rocks their world when they can go to a hotel and go swimming. They had so much fun, and it's so cute to see things through their eyes, like how a hotel room can just make them giddy. Spent 350 dollars at Costco, all food and cleaners, which is unreal, since we didn't even buy any meat this time. But of course, there is something about that place that just makes you think "yes, if we don't buy this 50 lb sack of apples, we'll kick our asses later".
Well, I have sweet bugger all to say. Do you ever feel like that, you sit down here and then think "I got nothin'?" It's so stupid, because I will sometimes be lying in bed and thinking about blog topics, and that's got to be a retarded thing to do. I came up with a doozie the other night. It was like 1 a.m. and Kelly woke up so I went in to lay in bed with her and the cat was laying on her legs. So, I get in and the cat jumps down and leaves. Well, the cat usually sleeps between my legs or she will be with the kids on their legs, but if you move too much she takes off, so then in my sleepy state I thought "yeah, I should blog about 'why are cats so touchy?' What a brilliant idea!" LOLOL, yeah, that woulda been a good one, wouldn't it have? Sorta like that Seinfeld episode where Jerry wrote down that joke when he was sleeping and couldn't read it in the morning. So, I watched the Chappelle show for the first time the other day. I have to admit, I laughed my ass off. Rachel looked at me at one point and said "is this funny or is it offensive" and then that got me to thinking in the middle of the night what constitutes offensive and why. Like, I don't know if I should have found that shit as funny as I did. For example, I don't know if it made it into your media elsewhere in Canada about the University of Saskatchewan student newspaper, The Sheaf, and the big hoo-ha that happened about a month ago - they published these cartoons written by some student and it was spoofing the Mohammad cartoons but it was about Jesus and I am not even going to go into it but I am sure if you Google it, you'll find it, but I was so offended. Me, who used to take pride in not being offended by anything, has a little conservative streak coming out. Anyway, it's funny what offends a person and what doesn't, and why.
Take for example Bret Easton Ellis. When I was a teenager, I thought he was the coolest writer - young, rich, jaded, full of pop culture references and name dropping, and writing about the jaded rich California youth he lived, and the life I thought I was envious of having. I loved Less Than Zero and The Rules of Attraction, and reread them often. Then he published American Psycho and, well, I was offended. Or disturbed that someone could write that. Anyway, I read those first two many times, and hadn't picked them up for years until I found Less than Zero at Value Village. So, I was happy like a pig in shit, and eagerly snapped it up. Well, I started reading it last January when I had to go to Regina for a meeting. It was 40 below and really scary outside and long story short, my car died and I was stranded in the city, almost froze to death (literally - don't feel like talking about that one again) and had to wait from 3 p.m. until 3 a.m. for CAA to give me a boost (which didn't work). Oh, and I had the stomach flu during this time too, let's not forget that. So anyway, I had the book with me and started reading and it was the usual depressing, detached shit, and people date but they don't like each other, and they sleep with everything that moves but they feel no passion or pleasure, and they take all sorts of drugs and get nothing out of it - it's just so bleak. And the frigging thing is set at Xmas time. But there is one point where they are somewhere and there is some drugged 13 year old or something and they are like all gang-banging her and she's oblivious because she's drugged and at that point I thought "this is absolute shit" and I was so offended that I just threw the fucking book in the trash and said never again will I read it. Is this because I have daughters now? Is it because I realize the Paris Hilton lifestyle is so empty and pathetic? In any case, that offended me. When Chunks said she wasn't going to finish Rules of Attraction, I knew exactly what she meant. LOL, and at this moment, I am downloading some Amy Grant - that's another strange thing about me - I am a huge Amy Grant fan, and there are certain Christian songs I love - I can sing you all the words to "Our God is an Awesome God" - yup, I'm an enigma, ain't I?
I have been awful with the diet. I finally got on the treadmill tonight, which will be the third time in a month, and I just polished off a bag of Sunchips, but I promise, tomorrow is another day and I will start again. Taunt me with "fatty fatty" please to keep me going.
Anyway, I gotta get to bed - have a great Thursday everyone.
xo
JT

1 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Blogger Chunks said...

Hey I can sing Our God is an Awesome God too! (I had never heard it before my kids started school) I have to admit, when they do celebrations at their school and they all sing that song, well, I get a little weepy.

I am so glad I pulled the bookmark on the Rules of Attraction book, it was making me mental. Maybe it is the addiction theme that bothered me so...I don't know.

I've been in a blogging funk as well. I just can't think of anything good to blog about when I am actually typing! I also lie awake and think, hey this could be somethin'...but it never materializes. Oh well.

Glad to see you blogging on a semi-regular basis again. It's a shame Margo has fallen off the wagon...I miss the home renovations and the puppy dog posts. Come back to the dark side Margo!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home