Saturday, January 28, 2006

Just listen to the damn song, ok?

Very tired and I am sitting here eating mints by the handful, so I better go to bed soon before my teeth fall out. I have been pouring through the U of S library journal article database for a while and I am getting bug eyed so I thought I would blog for a minute and decompress. What am I looking for, you ask? Well, nosy nellies, I'll tell you about my latest fight against the system. I was reading the paper the other night and there was this letter from this woman stating that she was upset about the lack of discussion about changing the kindergarten here from 1/2 days to full days every second day. So, since I will be a kindergarten parent this fall, I completely freaked the fuck out and lo and behold, there was a "survey" issued on January 24th and had to be in on Jan. 27th which said, basically, there is no downside to all day kindergarten and it's convenient to parents, and to check off if you agree. Well, thankfully I got wind of this on Friday morning, so I got some surveys done and dropped off, along with a letter to the superintendent and a letter off to the paper (they have never published a letter of mine to the paper, and I've written them - this time, I am sure it's because the former editor is a city counsellor now so she's a big wig and her hubby is on the school board, and God forbid they publish anything against her hubby's organization - last time it was because I was critical of the mayor and the owner of our paper and our alcoholic mayor are drinking buddies - remind me to blog about our down syndromed looking mayor and his soon to be ex-wife sometime - it would make your hair curl. Anyway, I am looking for literature that is against full-day kindergarten, and there really isn't any, so I am shit out of luck, I know. However, every principal in the school division will get a letter from me this week, as well as phone calls, and I am going to try to get a petition going. Sorry, but full day is too much transition for me. I don't want to keep harping on it, and my brother and sister in law are both teachers and they think it's a done deal because the school division is notoriously crooked and doesn't give a shit about anybody. But I won't bore you with horror stories about that shit, because who else gives a fuck besides me.....
LOL, well if that wasn't a pity party I don't know what is.......So, today I weighed myself and lost 3 1/2 lbs this week. Then, I didn't exercise (didn't yesterday either), had a salad and a chili from Wendy's for lunch, and then had chinese food for supper, and I pigged the hell out. So, I am not happy with myself right now. We had swimming lessons today, and Rach took Kim, so the four of us are there and it's so much fun. Then Rach and I spent 2 hours in Value Village and I bought so many nice clothes - a whole shitload of Old Navy stuff, and some stuff with tags on. Anyway, we got two huge bags. The kids got really crabby though tonight, like completely hysterical crabby, so it's been a long evening.
Other than that, not much else to report. I sure don't care for this new Trading Spaces without Paige - this show has seen better days.
Oh, I bought the new Rosanne Cash - "Black Cadillac". I urge you all to go buy it. It's all about the deaths of her father, step mother, and her mother, who died on Rosanne's 50th birthday. I never thought she could surpass her last album, Rules of Travel, but baby, she's done it. It's so sad, but beautiful. The title track is my favorite right now - she begins about how it was a black cadillac that drove her dad away when he died, and then she talks about how he used to drive one, and the chorus just grips your heart - this is part of it: "It's a lonely world/guess it always was/ minus you/ minus blood/ my blood..." If you go to www.rosannecash.com it should take you the Black Cadillac promo page and the song sample for the title track is there when you click on liner notes i think - please, for me, just listen to it all the way through, and tell me you don't love it. Just listen, for me... country haters, this means you, because she really ain't country at all. She's actually pretty much almost my fave next to Joni, Stevie, and James, and while she's often bleak, she's honest. You have to hear her album "Interiors" about her break up from Rodney Crowell - she bares it all - the opening lines are something like "we crawled day and night through the tears and debris...." lol, it's really uplifting.... So check her out. And, she seems so normal. She has a monthly mini-blog where she tells of her favorite movie, book, album, but it's hard to find now. The last one though was a little much - shi-shi-poo-poo-ish. Anyway, listen to fucking song, ok? I'll shut up now. But I want you all to listen to the song....
Better get to bed - reading the Tatum O'neal book, and she may be crazy and she was probably medicated on Oprah, but after living with her crazy father, who the hell can blame her. And, she proves the hypothesis that Farrah Faucett is indeed a space alien. She also tells all this weird shit, and she accuses Melanie Griffith of something - for some reason she's in Paris with Melanie when she's 12 or something and they are smoking opium with these other two people and then they all have a threesome, and then somehow Tatum gets dragged in there and gets fondled, and she says she is still mad Melanie never apologized, and right there I am jumping into James Frey/Oprah mode and thinking "how does 18 year old Melanie bring a 12 year old across the border without being stopped" and then later "how does Tatum leave Isreal at 12 and fly to America and has to change planes so often it takes her 3 days and nobody confiscates her?" LOL, if the bitch gets a root canal in the book without freezing, I'm throwing the thing out the window.... .
Oh, one final thing - ran into my friend and old roomie's mother in Value Village - my friend "Ruby" (a different one than the one who made me smoke in B.C.), who I just found out was pregnant a couple days ago, lost her baby today. She was just, just pregnant, and so excited she told everybody, and I feel sick for her. I realize how lucky we've been, Thank God, with having kids. Keryn was conceived the first night we tried, and then Kim took 3 months, which made us panic - we bought an ovulation kit where you spit on this slide and if it looks like a fern, you are ovulating. So it took 3 months for her and then with Brianne, we decided at Valentine's Day, and Rachel was pregnant at the end of the month. So we are incredibly lucky with conceiving and with Rachel carrying the babies... I am always on pins and needles for the first couple months, and I feel so bad for Ruby since this is her first pregnancy....
Anyway, gotta go read the book now - have a great Sunday all.
And that's the rest of the story....
JT

4 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger Chunks said...

I hope things work out with the Kindergarten fiasco, um nice that they gave you three days with the survey? What are they, a bunch of communists? Fuckers! All day is brutal, especially if they've never been to daycare. Keep us posted!

I listened to the roseanne cash songs, they are lovely! I know I am always preaching about the evils of the country music, but I confess, I have a lot of it in my collection. No roseanne cash though, and I don't know why, she is an awesome songwriter! She reminds me of Ally Sheedy.

The Tatum book sounds good. The shit that those celebrities can get away with is astonishing. Now, remember to take her words with a grain of salt, wasn't she a big coke head? Her recollections might not be that accurate. Someone better get Oprah's team of crack investigators on this one...

So sorry to hear about your friend losing her baby. That is so sad. When things like that happen to other people, it reminds you how lucky we are to just be here.

Peace.

 
At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats sad about Ruby..
Fight the valiant fight with the school board..!!

Margo

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kindergarten is just the beginning!!!!. Wait until you have to deal with the teachers. Some are great and some are fucking assholes!!

I have dealt with natzi lunch room supervisors that are nothing but miserable tea slurping old hags that should be banned from elementary schools. Lets face it, some people over the age of 45 dont have the patience to deal with little kids. Heaven forbid the child should drop a piece of food or get up from the table to put something in the garbage. When you bring your concerns to the school you are labled as a shit disturber and one of those parents that get upset at every little thing that is said or done to your little Johnny.

Then your off to junior high where your hormone raging child has attitude, and is making that tough transition from child to a young adult. You receive the calls from the teachers advising you of yet another incident report. My all time favorite was how my child was refused permission to use the washroom. So after a few minutes of crossing the legs and wondering if they can hold on, they decide to run out of class before they piss themselves. So my child is disiplined, who is the fucking adult here?.

I can hardly wait for high school!!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Chunks said...

JT, did you and Margo both go on vacation and forget to tell me? I miss you guys!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home