Thursday, April 06, 2006

Blah blah blah, I got nothin again

Oh lay your hands, lay your hands on me..... yes, I again have the Thomson Twins going through the old noggin again. Man, that chick with the shaved eyebrows was annoying, and I didn't really know what any of them actually played, other than her hitting what looked like windchimes with a baton every once in a while, but it was all good. I'd like a gig like that - fool around with some windchimes and make a pile of dough. As my Joni said "I'm gonna make a lot of money and I'm gonna quit this crazy scene." Oh, I wish I could turn my fellow bloggers onto Joni somehow. If you'd give it a chance, she'll change your life. Honestly, I will always remember the first time I listened to Blue. That was a life changing moment, and I had nobody to share it with. I took out Blue from the library on vinyl, because it was listed as one of the best 100 albums of all time in Rolling Stone, so I thought I'd give it a whirl, and from the opening lines of the first track, I just freaked out and felt euphoria. It was like "oh my God, she's saying it like I feel it". I remember calling Margo and rambling on about how this album was so good and changing my life but she replied "I'm watching the Cosby show right now...." and got rid of me. I went and told my mom how wonderful it was and she was all "whoo hooo, that's good for you" but of course she didn't get it, and now that I think of it, she might have been half-snapped, so I coulda told her Megadeath was changing my life, and it all woulda been good. So c'mon, let me indoctrinate y'all into Joni.

Ok, off the soapbox. I am watching Primetime right now and these freaks are on who have this disorder where they want to lose a limb. So, this one guy packed his legs in dry ice until he killed them, and it's so sick. What the hell is wrong with people? Then I always get freaked out that I will somehow get one of these freak disorders and will end up hacking my legs off. You know me, it's always something to fear.

I wish I had something good to read. I was actually wanting to pick up the Joan Didion book that Chunks is reading, but I dunno, I am not in the mood to be depressed. I dunno if I have mentioned before, but my academic background is English, and my research area is (or was, as I don't really do any research now or anything academic) disease/illness memoirs. I wrote a thesis on AIDS memoirs and have read many illness/depression/disability memoirs. I think I just hit a point where I had to step back, because it really takes it's toll on you. So that's why I've put off reading "A Year of Magical Thinking" or whatever it's called. LOL, but if anyone wants some sad reading, I've got recommendations for ya! I am currently reading a National Geographic from 1981 about Mount Saint Helens. I have always been obsessed with Mount Saint Helens, and everyone laughs at me because I always remember the day it erupted. We were living in B.C. then and were about, I dunno, 3 or 4 hours away from the mountain. I thought it was so cool when it was blowing steam, and I'll never forget the morning it erupted - May 18, 1981. It was the day after my dad's birthday and we were going to this cabin about an hour away for a party for his birthday. I was laying in bed, and I felt the house shake and heard some bangs. Our house backed out onto an Indian Reservation - literally. Beyond our fence was a dike road and then the Reserve. Well, my dad was in charge of the RCMP Detachment in town and so he called the office to see "if the Indians were blasting dynamite on the Reserve." It was only later we saw on tv that it was the mountain. I was crossing my fingers that we would get ash where we lived so school would be cancelled, and so my outdoor cat could come inside, but we never did get any because of the winds. Anyway, I obsess about natural disasters like that - earthquakes, 9/11.... I eat it all up.
So anyway, that's all I have to say tonight. TGIF like you wouldn't believe...
JT

2 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't have much to comment on, but I don't want you to get discouraged and not blog.
I am obsessed about natural disasters too.
M

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Chunks said...

Okay, I read this post this morning, and am only now able to comment, due to being busier than a two-peckered rabbit in mating season today.

I thought about your post a bit today. First of all, I even went to the audio dept. at WalMart today looking for Blue, that is how inspired I was. Alas, there was a Joni album I already copied (oops did I say that?) from the library, the one where she is looking at a painting of herself...and there was the Songs from a Prairie Girl or something or other. I will keep looking. I love "The River" though, Heart covered it on their "on the road home" live album and it rocks my world. But I digress.

I also remember Mt. St. Helen's erupting! We lived in the CNP then, (Crowsnest Pass, asshole of the universe) and we did get some ash, although not TONS!

The Year of Magical Thinking isn't really sad. It is more cerebral and practical than that. I was really expecting it to be a tear jerker, but I've only cried a couple of light tears and then I am sure it is just because I am hormonally challenged. I'm going to read the Death of Innocence next about JohBenet Ramsey. I love a good autobiography.

Here's a link for you! Maybe it will help get that song out of your head...hahah!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_Twins

 

Post a Comment

<< Home