Friday, October 21, 2005

KROQ FM, STAR JONES, AND SISTERHOOD IS GLOBAL: A VERITABLE CORNUCOPIA OF TOPIC TONIGHT

Ok, nobody who is into this blog is also into my new wave 80's bullshit, I know, or my obsession with KROQ radio from Pasadena, but since this is my space, I don't care - today I had the frigging brainwave, after almost 10 years on the internet, to see if KROQ was broadcast live. You see, since I was like 13, I've been dying to get KROQ. They were one of the most influential and cool radio stations in America back in the day, and they played all my kind of music. How I ever heard of KROQ, I dunno, because it's odd for a 13 year old in Saskatchewan to actually know about some L.A. area radio station, but I wasn't exactly the most normal kid. Anyway, as I've also said, I used to be addicted to reading Billboard, and I would get so excited because they used to report what new songs KROQ would add each week, and their top 10, and I'd see all this new wave and cool stuff on there and wish I was out in L.A., where I would be with people who understood me instead of being miserable in the sticks. Of course, I had this notion that life in the Valley was just like Valley Girl, with cool music and spiked hair and all this new wave thing, and even though it wasn't probably true in the slightest, it was Mecca to me. LOL, I wanted to cruise the valley, listening to my music on KROQ, going for coffee to DuPars... good grief I was a loser. But just to find a radio station that played X, my fave punk band, and the Cure, my heros, and even my beloved funk, like Grandmaster Flash, well, it was the cat's ass to me. So anyway, as I said, it isn't online, but I found so many KROQ worship sites by other weirdos like me. SO, what's got me all hot and bothered is that I found a site with the listener's top 100 for each year of the 80s - KROQ was famous for their New Years Eve top 100 listeners countdown, and it's all fucking the cat's ass. So I found this site, http://earlhoward.com/kroq.htm that lists all of their countdowns for each year from 1980-1990. Wait, it gets better - I have also found an online website at live365.com that only plays songs from the top 100 lists for that era. So I am in hog heaven today - listened all afternoon at work and right now. Curently, I am listening to the godawful "Mickey" by Toni Basil (but I can handle the song if I pretend I am cruising in the Valley in 1982), which was the number 15 song in 1982 on their listener poll, just finished listening to Morrisey's "Ouija Board, Ouija Board", which was number 42 in 1990, and now, OMG, "Running Up That Hill" by Kate Bush, number 37 of 1985. I SO FRIGGING LOVE THIS SONG. The video used to be my alltime favorite video. Did you know Kate produced her own music?
So, nobody gives a shit about this I know, but I do, so boo hoo. That's the beauty of blogs - I can ramble about all this stuff that I can't talk to anyone about because they don't share my passion for it, and I don't have to worry about boring anyone, because you can just skip it - I feel so liberated! (lol, I am such a nutbag, aren't I?)
Anyway, enough of the music stuff. I am so glad it's the weekend. I so love my job, do you all know that? I am scared that this term position will just be a term because I don't know the status of funding for my job beyond July, so if I have to go back to the old job, it would truly suck, but I don't want to think about it - just think good thoughts that this one will turn permanent. So I love my work, and I don't regret a thing. Rachel is done work now, as of today, so that is so awesome. She is done for a whole year! Keryn is so excited! It was so emotional though when we picked the kids up from my sister's today because she's sad she won't be babysitting anymore, and Rachel was thinking on the way there how glad she was we didn't have to put the kids in a daycare, so she started crying when she was thanking my sister, and they are crying and I am just looking at the floor trying to hold it together. So the kids get a year with mommy now! It's so nice to have her home. Keryn BEGGED to go to Bonanza when we were leaving my sister's, so we took her and I pigged out after being so good, so I feel all guilty, but no biggie, tomorrow's another day.
OMG "Heartbreak Beat" by the Psychedelic Furs is on now (#49 of 86). I love this song so much - it reminds me of partying in Edmonton as a teenager, dancing in my friend's livingroom, in their penthouse apartment overlooking the river, watching the night glittering. Joyous times, and joyous memories and music has been such a big part of all of them.
Keryn wanted us to buy diapers for the baby tonight, so we went and got diapers and baby lotion and Ivory Snow and it's so excited for her this baby business.
Ok, let me interupt - the lyrics "There's a heartbreak beat, and it feels like love... I've got the radio on, and it's all that we need....." really just sum it all up, doesn't it? LOL, why do I supsect I am the only one who's heart gets all fluttery like some nutbag when they hear that song?
So, tell me, am I the only one who really sorta preferred the fat version of Star Jones? I mean, she looks so damn healthy now, and she really looks remarkably thin and good for her. But whereas I thought she was sort of pretty before, now I think she just looks, well, as my wife would say, she wasn't hit with the pretty stick. Make no mistake, glad she's thin and healthy, but sister's just got a froggish face, like a male Randy Jackson. Hey, did you all see Janet Jackson put weight back on? It's actually good to see - as soon as the Jackson family members lose weight, they turn all squirrelly and then they just turn retarded.
Has anyone watched any of the new shows this year? We only catch Amazing Race, Survivor, and the Apprentice. I was going to watch that frigging Doogie Howser show, whatever it's called, but I dunno, I just don't have time for a new show. Everything looks so damn stupid. Oh man, I sound so old. I sound like Mrs. Crabappel when she said "I can't go to the library anymore - everyone stinks!"
Hey, read in the paper yesterday that the congress of movie something or other has said they will stop producing vhs tapes this year, so the vcr is going the way of the dodo. How in the hell will we tape anything? Fucking cd-rs get too frigging scratched up, so I can't imagine. We need to protest, to revolt in the street. We are mad as hell and we will not take it anymore, damnit!
Hey, did I ever tell you about how we were in this bookstore with Margo one time and they had this frigging 4 million paged tome called "Sisterhood is Global" and she said "that's the kind of book I'd like to read, sitting in the park" and then she started shaking the book saying "sisterhood is global!" and said "I will shout it from the rooftops" and I don't know why, but we thought it was the funniest thing since Burns and Allen, and so Sisterhood is global has been our catchphrase forever. LOL, that was the time she took us to the gay bars in Calgary, of which there were like 2 or something, and there was this spooky fucking woman person in the one that gave us the willies.
Well I am just free associating tonight, aren't I? I guess I should get to bed because I want to read. So I will sign off now. Now I leave you to sit, brokenhearted....
Have a great weekend everyone. Find your inner Siouxie Sioux of Siouxie and the Banshees and KROQ out my good peoples.
xo
JT

5 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger Chunks said...

Sometimes I buy Ivory Snow and Johnson's baby magic baby lotion just so I can have that new baby smell in my nose. You and your family must be sooooo excited for the new arrival!!

I always thought I knew 80's music but you EMBODY 80's music...making me just look like a hack! That is so cool! Everybody has a passion! (You seem to have several...hahah!)

I'm watching Survivor, The Apprentice and my A&E lineup on Wednesdays, that is all I really have time to get into. VHS is obsolete? What is going to happen to the 300 Disney movies I have?! Seriously, I want a refund! We have been buying the newer releases on DVD, but for the love of Hannah, that is just bullshit! There is no way I am going to be able to get Cats Don't Dance on DVD.

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just located your great Blog about Keeshond. Great information here, I will definitely be bookmarking your site so that I can come back and read some more. I also have a site and blog about Keeshond, so it's always great to read more about it on other peoples blogs.

 
At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I am very familiar with your musical tastes, I had to endure them for 5 years remember?? lol.
What do you think of Amazing race.. not enjoying it myself as much.. Too many people, plus they haven't left the states till last week.. how exciting it that.?

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

where ya be JT??? We need an update. How is the little woman, she is due really soon... how is she feeling. How about the puppy?

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Chunks said...

HAHAH! You get more spam than anyone I know!

Where are you anyway, dude?! Did Rachel have the baby?!! What the hell is going on?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home