Sunday, April 10, 2005

Soybomb, Gordon Downey, and Tori Amos - Separated at Birth.

Just read Jann Arden's latest, and laughed my ass off, and it is also syncronicity too. You see, I was going to post about the Junos too, specifically about Gordon Downey, but Jann beat me to it. However, unlike our Jann, I thought he was completely insane. I am not talking about the who "my daddy" speech thing, but the performance. Like, what the hell was that? He was all spastic and growling and yelping and I had no idea what in the hell was going on, and did he mean to knock over the microphone? It was kinda like when Soybomb sabbatoged Dylan at the Grammies back in 96 or 97 and started flailing around the stage - I thought he was just part of the act until I found out he was some performance artist who rushed the stage. I remember vividly watching this stupid Dylan performance and then this shirtless guy with Soy Bomb written on his tummy rushing on and dancing and flailing, and just thinking "Oh for the love of God, I don't understand this thing". LOL, because I really don't understand a lot of things, and always wonder if I am the only one who doesn't get it.
Like Tori Amos. I was just transfixed by her back in the 90s when Under the Pink was released so I ran out and bought it, and then read the lyrics. Now, I still love to listen to "Cornflake Girl", but I remember reading the lyrics and wondering what "never was a cornflake girl, thought it was a good solution hanging with the raisin girls, she's gone to the other side, with my encyclopedia...this a this a this is not really happening.. you bet your life it is... just peel, out the watchword, just peel... out the watch word" all meant. I actually sat there thinking "ok, the raisin girls must represent something, and the "watch word" that is peeled, is emblematic of something, and why don't I get it?" Then, 10 years later it came to me - Tori is crazy. The end.
LOLOL, I mean, I don't know why that should have preoccupied me, because I've always been a huge goth and industrial fan, and that all never made a whole hell of a lot of sense lyrically other than everything is doomed, but good ole Tori made me wonder. Oh, and REM - it wasn't until recently that I realized that it's ok for me not to understand most of their songs. It's OK. LOLOLLLLLLL, I remember trying to make sense of the Sugarcubes' "Cold Sweat" and the lines "this is hot meat, this is metallic blood this is hot meeeeeaaaat". ROFL, gotta love the Icelandic translations.
Hey, who was Jann talking about, the Idol guy at the Junos? Kalan or that first one, Ryan Malcolm, or Malcolm Ryan? I can't stand that Malcolm Ryan/Ryan Malcolm dude - he is so full of himself and snotty and shit. Kalan on the other hand, is just, well, too blah and bland. He is performing in Melfort with Theresa from Idol - it doesn't surprise me in the least.
Ok, so that was a good diversion. Wish it was still the weekend. Wish we could just stay home tomorrow and eat bon bons. I am also so pissed off that Winners is closing here - I am sure it is because the workers were going to unionize - if this proves to be the case, I will forever boycott. Of course, since Winners is where all the cheap underwear is, I will never buy underwear again. So please, rally the company so I can have new knickers!
Well, I guess I better go on up to bed. Happy Monday tomorrow... ugh.
xo
JT

3 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not going to comment much mainly because I have nothing to say cause I don't like your 'kind' of music lol, Never did quite understand your eclectic tastes my friend.. Oh well I am a little bit country, and your a little bit freaky weird music (ever heard of skinny puppy??)

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Ottawa Pocket Watches said...

Jann is so on with her journal. Always a good read.

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger JT said...

Did you know that there is a print version of her journal, or so I hear? Have you read it, Soh? I am intrigued!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home