Friday, April 01, 2005

My 80s romantic comedy, kd lang and the quest for a good album, hometown blues, and a howling cat

Ok, just saw this commercial for yet another Ashton Kucher movie called "Looks Like Love" or "A Lotta Like Love" or something, and it's him and Amanda Peet, and they are all cutesy and he's all in love and shit, and it's like those cutesy "they are so impossible because they don't realize how they are perfect for each other" type of things. You know, the shit that will be such crap in 10 years, but we will watch it on a Sunday afternoon rerun for nostalgia for 2005? I don't get his appeal. I think he's a frigging dork and can't act, and he always seems so annoying, and then seeing him and Demi hanging out at the Beverly Hills Kabbala Center just makes me roll my eyes. So anyway, that's just my personal bugaboo. Well, anyway, the commercial for this movie made me think of this stupid fantasy I used to have. Remember in the blog from a couple of weeks ago, where I mentioned that I had that fantasy when I was like 13 of me and Valerie Bertinelli on the cover of People magazine? Well, I used to imagine us staring in this movie called "The Wild Heart", that I would have written, which was based on the song of the same name by Stevie Nicks. The song just sounds so 80's soundtrack-at-the-beginning-of-a-movie, and I would imagine us both signing on to star in this movie, about our wild hearts. The beginning would be set in New York City, as we walked separately on the city streets, fighting traffic and crabby people, and hailing cabs and carrying our "big brown bags" and the song playing whilst we do this, with the opening credits coming on the screen. I even had this picture of Val crossing the street with all of these bags in her hand, and her high heel falling off and her trying to put it on and dropping her bags and a cab honking at her, and her being all freaked out and dishevelled while the opening lines of "something in my heart died last night/just one more chip off an already broken heart/I think the heart broke long ago/that's when I needed you" played. I don't know what the rest of the movie would be about, but the ending would have us in love, in this crazy New York May/December (December/May?) romance happening, and the song playing again, and the credits start rolling and Stevie is crooning "blame it on my wiiiild heart". So why am I sharing this? Just because it's such a funny fantasy. I spent my youth dreaming of Hollywood and fame and celebrity and all that shit. I completely spent the first 15 years of my life in a total fantasy world. But I can't share it all in this post, lest I overload the whole blog with my craziness. I also used to have the same fantasy with us starring in a movie based on the Pat Benetar song "The Art of Letting Go." Anyway, this Ashton movie reminded me of all of this, so I had to share.
I can't get used to the resolution of this laptop. It's blinding me. I gotta figure this out better or something.

OMG, HOLY FUCK - THE CHICK ON JACK FM FROM VANCOUVER JUST HEARD A RUMOUR THAT STEVIE NICKS AND DON HENLEY WILL TOUR THIS SUMMER. HOLY FUCKING MOTHERFUCKER! I AM SO THERE - PLEASE GO TO FARGO! Ok, sorry for the outburst.

Next topic: kd lang - I am still reading that kd biography from 1993. It's pretty good actually, and it's given me the kd bug again. So, as I always do when I get all kd crazy, I dig out her albums and hope I will suddenly love them. I completely love Hymns of the 49th Parallel, and not for the Joni songs, but for the Neil Young songs and Halleluah or however you spell it. So I love the cover tunes, but the other albums.... I love her singles, like Constant Craving, Trail of Broken Hearts, Save Me, the song that comes after Save Me, and my favorite kd song, "Anywhere But Here". But her albums don't do it for me. Invincible Summer just left me wishing for fall.... I wish she would just come out with original tunes that are good. Never bought Drag, because I didn't want those cover tunes, don't care for Tony Bennett, so didn't get that damn thing, and Shadowland and Angel With a Lariot are too hillybilly country for me.
Hey, if anyone out there reads this, please download Loretta Lynn's "Portland Oregon" single, the one with the dude from the White Stripes. It's fucking genius.

54-40 are on Jack right now. They used to be my favorite band. They are coming to Saskatoon soon. I am just too old to be seeing them, in some crowd with a bunch of drunk 20 year olds. I really feel old in terms of that stuff. Hells bells, I turned down the car stereo the other day when I had the window open, because I had that Monifah song playing, the one that goes "do you really wanna fuck with me tonight" - "Touch It", and old people were walking by.

So today was a good day. We had a staff meeting, and there was a sign on the door that said we couldn't come in until 9:00, so at 9:00 we go in and there is a sign up saying to come to the Arts Center. Well, we trek down there and it was this weird thing, where we had to run around and look for clues for this crossword puzzle, and then the agenda items were posted on pillars in different rooms, and we had to write on the pillar if we had any comments or discussion, and then we had to "play" for 1/2 an hour, so we sat down and played board games, and then had this awesome spread of muffins and fruit and cheese from Shananigans. Then we had a sharing circle. It was strange, but a nice break. So then Keryn was all whiny at noon saying she wanted to go home (we eat lunch at the sitter's) and so I just asked her if she wanted to come to work with me since almost the entire office was gone to volunteer at the pow wow in Regina. So, she came with me and had a great time. I brought art supplies and she made me pictures, and then watered my plants over and over, and then we went to the mall for coffee and bought some windex and she dusted my office. Then we went to Rachel's doctor appointment, and then picked up Kim and we took them to Bonanza for supper. We then went to the inlaws and I ran home and cleaned up the entire upstairs, so tomorrow we only have the basement to do. We were going to go out in the garage tomorrow and clean it, but the weather is gonna be cold - 6 degrees, but supposed to be in the teens on Sunday, so maybe we'll postpone the garage cleaning a day or so.
OMG, just saw something on the television of some woman blindfolded on a basketball court at 1/2 time, and she's doing this obstacle course stuff, and then she takes it off and her boyfriend is on his knees proposing, and she runs away, and he's left there like a dork, and the scoreboard flashes "She Said No!". Man, how terrible. Oh, it must be some tv moments, because it says "#21" now, and Springer is hosting this thing. Must be E! or something.

You know, Burton Cummings just gets on my last nerve too.... LOL, "Love is the Drug" by Roxy Music is on right now... I haven't heard this for decades. Man, Vancouver has awesome radio stations. Did I tell the blog that I now subscribe to the Chilliwack paper? LOL, Rachel thinks I am crazy for it, and for holding such a torch for the place, but regardless of how long I am gone from there, it will always somehow be home to me. No matter what. The second I descend the mountains and enter the Valley, and pull into the outskirts of town, I just get awash with happiness, and then seeing Mount Cheam and the surrounding moutains makes me so glad and happy and at peace. Even though the city is too big now and full of smog and they are building all over the fields and stuff, it's still home. Enough said. I didn't realize that it would still have that impact on me when we went back three years ago, after being gone for years, but it did. One night, Rachel was in bed and I went down to the lobby of the hotel for a smoke and drove across the street to the newspaper office to pick up a paper from the box, and "Letting Go" by Straight Lines was playing, which was the song playing on the radio the day we moved, and I started to bawl like a frigging baby. Then as we left town the next day, we drove out into the mountains, and "Spirit of 76" by the Alarm was on the radio, and I was so choked up I couldn't speak until we passed Hope. So, I will always have that place in my blood.

Finally, I am very disturbed about the Pope. I don't know why, because although I was baptised a Catholic, I pretty well renounced Catholicism when I was Born Again as a youth. But I remember when the one Pope died, and then the other one came in, and he died like right after that, and then this one became Pope. I was proud to have a Polish Pope, and with him dying, I just feel empty and unsettled, like it's the beginning of the end. Oh, I am just talking foolishness - Book of Revelation sticking in my head, that's all.
Well, I guess I should publish this and then get ready for bed. I have rambled on enough for one night. My stupid cat is fucking up our blinds in the basement and the dog is growling... must be a cat outside.
Happy Weekend,
JT

1 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I guess it must be because I am not catholic but the the whole Pope thing dying is not affecting me. Maybe its because it seems like he was ready to go months ago, or that a 84 he has lived a full life. Not sure, one thing is for certain we know he has a first class ticket to heaven so no one should really be upset knowing where he is going.. Well That is all I will say about theology as it is not one of my passions, nor do I know much about Catholics.
Did you notice that I put a counter on my blog? I can't believe it actually works, pretty cool, 18 people have been to my site since last nite.. wonder if they actually read it or if they just stumbled upon it by randomly searching the blogspot site??
Well I am off to stew about whether the tenant is going to pay his rent. As you know yesterday was the 1st, and he was home all night and he never bothered to come up and pay me.. Man it pisses me off. You wouldn't be able to do that in an apt building..

Well Ciao for now.
Margo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home