Friday, April 08, 2005

Blog, Interrupted

Wow, feels strange to write again. It's been a while - spent a couple nights trying to get the stupid laptop working upstairs, but still no go - I am pretty sure it's just a network problem, and settings that need to be changed, but not sure how to do it, so one of these days I'll just uninstall the network and start fresh. I was also gone for a day - went to Regina yesterday and just got back a couple hours ago. I tried to blog in my hotel, as Survivor was frigging boring, but I had a beer and got a headache and just said fuck it. So anyway, here I am.
First, the weather. Unbelievably gorgeous outside. It was 25 yesterday in Regina, 26 today, and tomorrow is supposed to be cloudy and overcast of course, since it's the weekend, but still, going to be 18 degrees. Oh course, unpredictable Saskatchewan being what it is, the SW, down in Swift Current, is supposed to be 7 degrees and a chance of snow. I just don't understand spring.
So I went for a little meeting this morning and visited with Sarah and Lance at their offices. Sarah told me she is pregnant, so that was exciting, so I had to tell her about Rach. Then I met Janet for lunch at Moxies and had a long lunch, and went on campus and visited with my favorite mystery novel writer, my esteemed department head Joanne, and went to the Awards thingy I was supposed to go to for exactly 5 minutes and then got accosted by someone (let's call her Mandy) who had her bra in a knot because of something, and I totally agreed with her, and then I went to visit my "co-boss", let's call her, and missed the rest of the ceremony, and then gassed up, went to Costco and came home. I am so bad, because I always miss the kids and then spend money I don't have on them. Last night I went to Old Navy to find a shirt for my fat self to wear today, and got the girls some shorts, and then went to Chapters and bought them "Subway Mouse" (a book they love), a Scooby book, and an Arthur book. I only bought myself one book - I am proud of myself. I bought this book that I think is called "Rats" - about this guy who studied rats in this alley in New York for a year. I read the reviews and wanted it, but was too cheap to get it in hard cover. So, it's really good, especially since I am so creeped out, yet completely facinated with, rats. I was proud of myself because I put down a handful of others I normally would have just bought, but I am trying to be frugal... lol... TRYING. I had the Tatum O'Neill book in my hand but thought it was too small and would be in paperback right away. Then I had the other book written by those "Who Killed Kurt Cobain" people in my hand that has "new explosive evidence!" but figured I could buy it some other time. I also had a book written by Ian Curtis' widow, from Joy Division, about his life, but I glanced through it at the till, and it was so short - 1/2 of it was discography and shit. I really wanted the new edition of the Rolling Stone Album Guide, even though I get so angry reading those reviews, but they were sold out. This morning, I found it at Book and Briar Patch, but put it down again, because it was 43 dollars, and the clincher was I opened it up and realized they had NO reviews for Talk Talk, yet a review for that frigging T.A.T.O album - those lesbian twins from Siberia or whatever. So that made me pissy and I thought Jann Werner doesn't need any more of my money, thank you very much.
So, that's the excitement of my life. My house is a freaking mess, and I wanted to clean it tonight so I wouldn't be a slave to it all weekend, but you know, fuck it. I am tired, so whatever. Poor little Kim is all rashy and hivey - she has allergies to all the new-found spring stuff, so I had to run and get some antihistimine for my baby. Poor little thing. Also bought some Tide Free to do her clothes in, but of course, we have a front loader and they don't sell the Tide Free HE in Canada, so watch, I'll foam up the basement or something.
Feels like I am getting a cold or something. Throat is kind of scratchy right now. yee haw....
I've so given up on all my t.v. shows ever since Rach got pregnant. She can't stay up to watch them because she is so tired, and the kids go to bed late, and I don't even care. Watched Survivor, and it bores me.... missed the TWO Amazing Races this week, but hopefully OLN will play them this weekend. Three Apprentices have been missed, Fear Factor... you name it.. I just want to keep up to American Idol. That's all I ask. Man, Anthony and Scott so should be gone instead of Jessica and Nikko. The American public who votes just annoy me.
Speaking of America, we will need passports soon to go there. So much for fucking free trade and invisible borders - our cows aren't allowed, nor our people, but oh, go ahead, we'll just evacuate the Hibernia Oil Station in the ocean off of Newoundland so you can test your Cruise Missiles and shit. Ok, I say it bluntly right here - George Bush and his cronies are a bunch of fucking motherfuckers who scare me almost as much as Ronald Regan did. However, I still have to say that Regan still tops the cake in terms of scariness for me. That administration was evil, but at least they were nicer to us. Well, let's just keep our water and get them the hell out of our airspace - yeah, like that will happen....
Ok, and one more political ramble - all this bullshit with the Gomery Inquiry - I don't understand one fucking iota of whatever the hell is "so shocking, it will bring down the government." Now, I suppose the first strike against understanding it is the proliferation of all the French names. It all sounds like marbles in the mouth, and I never know who they are talking about, and then these corporations and then all this missing money, and even after the dude on the radio gave a quick recap of the "Sponsorship Scandal" I still am murky about it all. And, I mean, whatever, call an election today, but I am not going vote against the liberals in favor of the fucking right wing crackpots, so they can keep stealing all they want, I guess, because the alternative is too frightening. Shit, if they do force an election, does this mean that Judy and Tanya's wedding won't happen this summer? Fuck, just when we are getting progressive to the point that I am actually proud of our country, and then, boom - lesbians won't get to marry, dopeheads won't get to puff away, and the grow-ops will continue to overtake Chilliwack, the grow op capital of Canada.
I heard that Miss Wheelchair Wisconson was stripped of her title because she was caught walking. Of course, she can walk a little bit, but she still has MD and needs the chair most of the time. The bitch who stripped her of the title sounds like, well, a bitch. This woman who was stripped of the title was in the right with everything she was saying (in her odd Wis-CAN-SIN accent), but she was sort of a know-it-all, and it reminded me of our friend who I referred to before as "the whore". You see, the whore lived in Wisconson for a time. She actually got pregant (nobody thought she could have kids) from this one real nice guy (who she dated just out of pity because he had cancer and was bald and wanted to prove she could date a sick guy or something), but Margo and I always have wondered about the father of the kid they have, because she ALSO slept with... shit, what did i call him in the blog.... Carrey, I think, Lolita's little brother, the night of their mother's funeral (don't even fucking go there, we were young and didn't know how to help their grieving process so we just gave them alcohol... I am so ashamed of how unsupportive we were in what we didn't say or do.. but that's another melancholy post). So anyway, we did the math, and it would have fit perfectly, and Carrey even made a crack to me a few years later when his wife was having a baby about the possibility of him fathering that kid, but whatever - she married the wonderful guy who beat cancer and they moved to the states but of course, being her usual self, it couldn't last, and they divorced and she married this Army dude in the states and moved to Wisconson, where he became a garbage man, and had a baby of his too. Anyway, she moved back to Canada when that marriage ended, and there isn't really anything to say about her other than Miss Wheelchair Wisconson made me think of her. Hey, I never said my friends weren't dysfunctional. Of course, let me clarify that while all the funny business was going on with all the crazies we knew and loved (because we did love them, and they all had great traits amidst the dysfunction), Margo and I were usually removed from the twisted stuff, just observing it inour drunken haze and then talking about it and laughing over coffee the next day (and stating "if our mothers knew what we were doing or who we were hanging out with...."). LOL, Margo's mom so would have shipped her back to Alberta -Margo lived her her dad, Lance, while her mother and neo-conservative step father lived in Alberta - I was always terrified to meet stepdaddy, but when I did, he was actually not bad - but Margo used to tell us about how when he was in the Navy, him and his chums would blow up seagulls by feeding them bread covered in Ajax. Never understood that story, but it stuck out in my head, so enough said - if you can kill a bird, you gotta be Bush material! But then Margo's sister, Velma, accidently left the garage open or something one time and killed all his tomatoes and he was devistated, so it seems so twisted because you can kill a bird and no biggie, but kill a man's tomatoes, and there is hell to pay?
Oh, Rosie and Kelly were on Baba Wawa tonight - she mentioned her blog for a minute. Rosie seems like an awesome mom. LOL but I will keep saying it and she can disagree with me all she fucking wants to, but the money helps a whole fuck of a lot..... They also have a really nice kitchen table. Wonder what kind of wood it was?
Hey, was listening to music on the way home tonight, and I am going to declare something - I believe I really like Mariah Carey. I do. So fucking be it. After years of mocking her strange "only get my good side" head twists, and rolling my eyes at the ballads and marrying the old fucker, I must admit that a) I love her non ballads, especially "Dream Lover" and "Fantasy" and her remake of Def Leppard's "bringing on the heartbreak" and even some of the ballads and b) she is really beautiful, bad side and all. So yeah, I like her, I think.... So what? Life is too short.
But when I listen to "Heartbreaker", I can't figure out what song she is sampling. I know "Fantasy" is built on Tom Tom Club's "Genius of Love" (man I love that song - even though Tina Weymouth can't exactly sing, how cool is that opening of "what you gonna do when you get out of jail? I'm gonna have some fun!" and the cool references to Sly and Robbie and Kurtis Blow?). But, "Heartbreaker" ALSO sounds like it is sampled from Genius of Love, but I know it isn't it.... but what the hell is it sampling?? It's something.
I was also listening to Bruce Hornsby and the Range on the way home. Oh man, I love Bruce Hornsby. He's the fucking cat's ass - I love his first album so much. "The River Runs Low Tonight", "Mandolin Rain" and "The Way it Is" are so awesome, but my sentimental favorite is "Every Little Kiss". I still love that song. It always makes me think of Rach. LOL, and it reminded me today of another story - in Grade 12, I was all infatuated with a friend, who I got together with periodically, who I will call Veronica. Well, Veronica and I went a couple months without speaking, and I can't remember why this instance, because it happened a couple times - twice after we hooked up and then didn't know how to deal with each other come Monday, once because she got back with her ex-boyfriend, once because we just got pissed off at each other and neither of us could remember why.... anyway, we didn't speak, and then made up and were all flirty. We had lunch this one day and had a good talk and whatever, and I went to Edmonton that night with my parents and Margo caught a ride because she was going to visit her mom or brother or someone, I can't remember. So anyway, I told Margo that I don't speak in the car and like to zone out listening to music and of course I had to digest whatever conversation I had with Veronica that day, so I just zoned out with my headphones the minute we left city limits and proceeded to trance out the whole 6 hours. Margo was all pissy with me for doing that, and I was listening to Bruce Hornsby in my introspective (read, nauseating) teenage ansty way, thinking "man, he knows how to sing it" and she kept throwing cigarettes at me because I didn't smoke in front of my parents. I mean, my mother would empty my ashtray daily, and steal the odd smoke from my pack, and she actually (I still can't believe it, because it would be a crime today) told me when I was 13 that "I didn't have to hide my habits from her" when Sue, who was visiting from B.C., snuck a smoke in the bathroom. I mean, grade fucking 7... but that's another issue. Anyway, Margo thought she was quite the funny little lady doing that - it was her big old Rollies too - she knew how to roll a cigarette that would be so tight and thick you could theoretically smoke it for 20 minutes.... oh man, I miss those days. Memories.
One more musical admission before I go to bed - I am also a Beastie Boys freak. I remember back in the day wanting to hate them because they were supposedly saying shit about gays and something - I want to say Jews, but it can't be, because the one was Jewish. Anyway, the politically correct wanna-be that I was (never actually DID anything, but I wanted to join Greenpeace and PETA and write letters to political prisoners for Amnesty International but never did, and the only thing I did do was know for certain that when I made it as a famous singer that 'I, I, I, ain't gonna play Sun City' and I figured that my singing 'Freeeeeeee, Nelson Mandella!' was enough) prohibited me from actually enjoying the Beasties. Well, then they came out with Paul's Boutique, which is a classic. I mean, CLASSIC. And today I was listening to "Hey Ladies" from that album, and it's just so genius, and so funny. I love the lines "She's got a gold tooth, you know she's hardcore, she'll show you a good time and then she'll show you the door" and then he falls for her and "it ended in tears" and "I call her in the middle of the night when I'm drinkin'". And then there is a reference to "beatnik girls in their smocks". LOL, it's classic.
Anyhow, I suppose this stream of consciousness typing should stop and I should go to bed and read my rat book. Yup, doesn't get any better than this!
May the weekend keep you well,
xo
JT

1 Comments:

At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO, the wheelchair beauty pageant winner lost her title for walking . .lol For some reason I find that as funny as the little ole woman with the walker that got blown into traffic in that wind storm.. don't know why but I do.. lol
Well that was quite the blog my friend. Thats what you would call verbal diarhea (SP?) or would it be typing diarhea? anyhoo I am so glad we have the same political views on the states, thanks for supporting the sista's. :) I agree with you that we should shut down the border to them too. let them go make their movies somewhere else.

well gotta run, have a house to clean this morning.

Oh one more thing, don't you think that the 'whores' life would make an excellent Maury Povich show. she could bring in all the 'possible daddies for DNA tests and one by one Maury would say, He is not the father.. then they would bring out the next candidate to be tested.I still think Carrey is the daddy of child number one... Good television.

M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home