Friday, October 05, 2007

these are a few of my favorite things

Ok, tell me this: what the fuck is the purpose for all this funwall bullshit? Like really, what the hell? I don't look at it, and I don't really get it. The same with all those other things on Facebook, like the food fights and whatever. Like, how frigging stupid. But whatever blows wind up yer knickers I always say.
Also, I went to the Dr. tonight, after blowing copious amounts of snot out my nose all day and having such a sinus headache that I wanted to rip my teeth out to relieve the pain. I have a sinus infection. Thank you Jesus that I have something I can take meds for instead of letting me suffer with just a cold. Been sick and whining for 9 days. Maybe the tide will turn now......
Anyway, tonight I am trying to figure out yousendit. If it works, Chunks can forward the 4 tunes on to you as I asked her to. This is my Thanksgiving present for you all. Let me explain these selections and why I am sending them to the three of you:

First, I am sending pretty much my favorite Joni song to you guys, but especially to Devo. "Amelia" is from Joni's 1976 album "Hegira", which is probably the fan favorite of all her albums. Well, favorite amongst the rabid Joni fans. The masses and the critics love Blue and Court and Spark, but the fanatics pick this album as a favorite, and this track is probably our favorite as well. Hegira is an album that was written during a trip across America one summer. Joni drove across the country, and it's a melancholy road trip album - I'll leave it at that. The first track, "Coyote", is about a break up with a rancher type dude, rumoured to be Sam Sheppard, and sets the tone for the trip to take off - it opens with "no regrets, coyote, we just come from such different sets of circumstance, I'm up all night in the studio and you are up early on your ranch." It actually shocked me the first time I heard it because of the line "coyote sits in a coffee shop/staring a hole in his scrambled eggs/he picks up my scent on his fingers/while he watches some waitress' legs." Risque for 1976, and I mean, haven't we all been caught doing that? (Kidding... kidding....I'd never eat scrambled eggs while smelling my sexed-out fingers...).
Anyway, The album's title track is really morose, and there are some deep, melancholy songs on there, but Amelia is the classic. It's written to Amelia Erhardt. Anyway, Joan's on a journey, riding across the country, with issues and deep thoughts and melancholy and soul searching, and a broken heart, and it fits perfectly with Devo's recent solo trip. However, it goes deeper than that. I somehow know Devo will feel this song like I feel it, and those of us who love it feel it. I know that after a few listens it will stick to her insides and be a part of her. And I know that while, like me, she may not know exactly what Joan is referring to in lyrics, she'll feel the song, and know it and it will make her wistful and sad and happy and resigned and enlightened and all of that. So because you will get this song, I give it to you my friend.
Now Chunks, the one I am sending you will be a puzzle to you, but for ages this one has made me think of you. I know you are one of the strongest people I know (you don't believe it, but it's true) and you write with bravery and no fear and lay it on the line and I honor that in you so very much because I can never let go and just barf it all up like you. However, whenever I hear this song, I think of you and I could never figure out why. But what it is is that I think there is a part of you that is like Joni in this song: pensive, a little unsure, uncomfortable at the party, people watching with awe and sadness and with a little self doubt - "I'm just living on nerves and feelings" as the song says, and "coming to people's parties feeling deaf, dumb and blind." Maybe I am full of bollocks. But I think I can see that little bit of vulnerability in you which is why I think of you with the song. Maybe this is where our panic attacks come from. On the same album, Joni sings "he makes friends easy/he's not like me/I watch for judgement anxiously" and that is me to a tee. Seriously, that's my theme song. You make friends so readily and are so open and I am envious of that, but I think there is a tad of that uncertainty in you which is why we click so well - we are all worty and worry about it a bit. So this goes to you, my friend.
Margo, the song I wanted is not found tonight online and I can't even begin to go through my mess of cds - I wanted to give you "Good Friends", a duet with Joni and Michael McDonald of the Doobie Brothers, because it is so us. But instead, you get the other song - "You're a Friend of mine" by Clarence Clemons and Jackson Browne. The song is written for two men, but let's overlook that and boom, it's us. There is no other friend I feel so comfortable with and can never run out of things to say. We have been through so much and the fact that we can pick up like there wasn't hundreds of miles between us speaks volumes. I am so glad we never lost touch. So this one is for you, dudette.
Finally, I am sending you "Say You Will" by Fleetwood Mac because it's the best single of the new millenium, and it always puts a smile on my face and the line "it always seems to heal the wounds if i can get you to dance" just makes me smile. Best thing Stevie's done in 20 years. Check this bitch out.
So there it is peeps..... it's Thanksgiving and I am thankful for so much in my life that I take for granted. I have the job I wanted for years, a wonderful wife who loves me in spite of my fat, dysfunctional and weird self, beautiful, open-hearted, sweet children, dogs and a cat that love me, a family that I was born into that is, while sometimes really dysfunctional, still loves me and holds it together somehow, and then, my friends. This post is for my blogging family. As far as I know, it's just the three of you readers left, because I lost my counter password, but you are really important to me. I am thankful for you guys, and think you are the cat's ass and the bee's knees and the shit..... You are all wonderful and I am so thankful that we click so well and that we found each other - God works in mysterious ways - via Mr. Thorimbert and Rosie O'donnell, hey Margs and gang? I hope you all enjoy your Thanksgiving and hope you realize how special you all are to me.
And if this yousendit shit doesn't work, well, download the fucking songs yourself... LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

4 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Blogger Devo said...

Dude. What a nice post. I got the one from R about people's parties, which I loved, and then when it ended, my itunes went straight to JT futuresexlovesounds, which was really weird and funny to me!! I am waiting eagerly for the one you sent for me!! My email is w_mckenzie@shaw.ca for any future installments. Happy Thanksgiving, I hope you have a great weekend.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Chunks said...

What's my song called? Did you send it? I have to check my email again and listen to the stuff I saved. My head was so full of Annie Lennox and Cyndi Lauper last night, I couldn't listen to another note.

This is going to sound like it came straight out the mental ward but when I hear "Hollaback Girl" it reminds me of you. And "Never Saw Blue" because you introduced me to that song and it is one of my favorites ever.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Chunks said...

Turns out it went into my bulk mail box, so I got them. I will forward them to the peeps.

I listened to the Joni song. I will have to put it on a disc and listen to it loud in headphones before I can really say I have LISTENED to it, you know? Anyway. Thanks for the music!

I should send you the song I think is my anthem. Because it's probably not what you'd think. Let me know if you're up to that.

 
At 5:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the music and the kind words. Hope you have a great turkey day with the family.
I am going to Red Deer for my Grandmas birthday, the entire family, and I mean everyone will be there for the first time in years.. it will be nice. Oh and Rochelle is coming.. It will be her first introduction to the family. wish me luck

 

Post a Comment

<< Home