Thursday, October 04, 2007

Eurythmics musings, etc. (boring talk)

I can't believe the pile of albums released last week - the new Joni, the new Annie Lennox, the new Melissa, the new Chaka Khan, entitled "Funk This", the new Herbie Hancock album of Joni songs, entitled "River: The Joni Letters", the new Springsteen.... and I know there were more. I of course had "Shine" on a bootlegged copy from someone a while ago, but I picked up Herbie the day it was out. I haven't bought Melissa's last few because I haven't been entirely impressed with her album work for a while now. I know she's got it in her, but it's always just so politically correct and cliches and such... I don't know, maybe I should try this one. I will get the Annie Lennox too, because I have been a fan since I was 13. When I was a teenager, I bought every album the Eurythmics put out, and their Revenge is still one of my alltime favorites. Nothing makes you want to dance more than "Thorn in my Side". I loved Sweet Dreams, the whole album, especially "Love is a Stranger", which I think is a far superior track than the title track, because I just love those fucking synths.
And then Touch - OMG, is there a better song than "Here Comes the Rain Again?" Or a better video? That song has a special place in my heart. I also love Who's that Girl and Right by Your Side and Paint a Rumour. I even spent big money to buy the "Touch Dance EP", remixes of album cuts from that one.
And then came Be Yourself Tonight - A true classic. I admit that "Would I Lie to You" isn't my favorite. There is something just so beautiful about "There must be an Angel" with Stevie Wonder on harmonica, and of course the Aretha duet is on there, right when she was making her comeback with Who's Zoomin' Who. My favorite on there is "I love you like a Ball and Chain" - Damn that one rocks.
Revenge came out the same time as Madonna's True Blue - I bought them together. I love this album the most, I think - Missionary Man, Thorn in my Side, When Tomorrow Comes, The Last Time, Let's Go, Miracle of Love.... it is all gold.
Then Savage - wow, I was not prepared for the trilogy of Bethoven, I Need a Man, and You Have Placed a Chill in My Heart. Go to youtube, and watch the videos, with I Need a Man, Bethoven, and Chill, in that order.... they go together.... it will take you back.
Then there was... shit, what's it called.... the one with Angel and Don't Ask me Why...... I am too lazy to go downstairs and look. I loved King and Queen of America....
I even bought their greatest hits and live albums, and Peace, the reunion album, and paid big money back in the day for "In the Garden", their first album that wasn't released here.
For her solo stuff, I loved Diva and the next one, the one with all the covers..... what's it called... too lazy to look. Bare depressed me, so I wonder what this is like.
But that was a sidetrack. I am most looking forward to the Chaka album, and not just because she does a Joni cover on it (Ladies Man). Chaka is a Joni freak, and they are friends, but that's not why I want it. I want it because Chaka is the shit... the true shit. Funk it out bitch.
And let me throw this out to the universe - is there a better song than Paul Carrack's "Don't Shed a Tear?" I don't think so.

1 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Blogger Chunks said...

Did you read about the woman in the states who just got fined $200,000 for downloading?

Almost scares a person straight, I tell ya.

Check out the live video of Stereophonics - Just Looking. It's so good it makes me want to cry.

The new Annie is sooooooooooooo good. So good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home