Sunday, February 20, 2011

Goood morning Vietnam!

Gooood morning Vietnam!!
Ok, I admit - I've never seen that movie. All I know is Robin Williams yelling that phrase. It has something to do with Vietnam. And possibly a radio.
I am just not into those war movies. Maybe it's because I don't think I was really alive in the time of Vietnam, but I just don't get the significance, and then I feel bad because I don't get it. Sure, I get the draft and fighting the senseless war and stuff, but the only things I know about war and the army are 12 seasons of MASH. So, when I see some war thing, I always try to equate it to people living in huts and drinking martinis and big, thick-armed nurses, and little guys like Radar with stubby fingers, and hairy cross-dressers. Hell, I guess the only thing I learned from Mash was that Grape Ne-Hi was pop. so anyway, since I know nothing of the military, these movies never make sense to me. I think I remember being forced to watch that one movie where Michael J. Fox was a soldier, back when he was trying to be a serious actor, but fuck if I could keep my mind on what was going on.
And I will admit this here - even through all my years of schooling, where I went to freakin' graduate school to study English, and even though I somehow defied ALL odds and developed a love of British Modernism and by the end could say I actually think i UNDERSTOOD and APPRECIATED Virginia Woolf, Joyce, et al, I have never understood the big fucking hoo-ha of Conrad's Heart of Darkness. For those who were never forced to read it, oh, 5 years in a row, it's the book that Apocalypse Now was based on. Again, that fucking thing didn't ever hold my attention. Maybe something is just wrong with me. I remember a few years ago trying my damndest to get this student registered in a Military History class, and I just wanted to grab him by his shoulders and scream "WHY IS THIS SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?"
Anyway, that was an unplanned tangent from out of nowhere. So good morning Vietnam, anyways, people.
Speaking of my short attention span, we took the kids to Gnomio and Juliet today, and when the credits were rolling at the end, everyone was all "wow, the little deer/fawn was voiced by Ozzy Osborne", and I was all "WHAT little dear/fawn?" Seriously, I missed that thing completely. It was an ok movie for kids, but once my mind wanders, screw it. I remember being dragged to Alienation by Margo (who I don't believe knows that I still blog) and I have never had a nicer sleep. I DO remember this one scene, where we learned that the aliens' genitals were in their armpits, and they were rubbing all over these poles, and it was really funny, but otherwise? I got nudged for snoring.
I do want to see the Aniston/Sandler movie, whatever the hell it's called. Of course, we don't go to adult movies, and we don't rent movies, so it aint gonna happen. I'm pretty sure it won't win an Oscar anyway.
Thank Sweet Jesus for this big honkin' imac. I don't remember if I kvetched (I think my family tree goes back to Jewish roots, so I am practicing my Yiddish) about Project Runway 8, but we didn't know it was on until someone told us - after we missed 3 episodes. Long story short, I've just been picking up this baby and plugging her in, and putting her on top of the entertainment centre, and we've been watching the missed ones online. God bless Steve Jobs.
I hate when I go to blog and I have sweet bugger all to say. I was on itunes last night, and I had like a 40 dollar credit, and I couldn't think of anything to d/l. I did end up d/l ing one of my favourite songs, "That's Allright" by Fleetwood Mac. Y'all probably won't think it's that wonderful, but I love that song, and have since the moment I heard it almost 30 years ago - I still remember the first time I heard it. Anyway, the cd it's from, Mirage, seriously needs to be remastered, as the sound is so terrible and the levels low, so I was hoping an electronic version would be better and downloaded the song. It sorta IS better.
I also downloaded Device's "Hangin' on a Heart Attack" and the Divinyls' "Pleasure and Pain". Two sort of obscure songs that I always have loved. LOL I almost downloaded "White Horse" by Laid Back, but I couldn't find the 6 minute album version. I need help.
Oh, and in a fit of weakness, I downloaded the Fixx's "Reach the Beach" because I had this odd desire to hear "Sign of Fire" and "Saved by Zero". I freakin' looooved The Fixx.
Anyway - the kicker? After I spent the money, I realized I OWNED their fucking greatest hits, with all the songs I wanted to hear. Idiot much?
OH! I've been listening to the new Stevie single a lot lately. I am falling in love with it. At first it sounded like a castoff from "Trouble in Shangri-la, but I've had it on my ipod the last few times we've gone to the track, and I really dig the rhyme scheme, etc. It's really good, when you get into it. You know, I would rather have dinner with her THan with Joni. Please don't tell my Joni peeps. Or Joni. God knows she's full of herself. lololol oh I talk too much - again I''m too open and free.... LOL..
Anyway, I have nothing to even say with this post so I'll say Goodnight Saigon to y'all!

2 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Anonymous rox said...

I was feeling nostalgic awhile back and D/L Reach the Beach by the Fixx too! Saved By Zero is one of my faves, reminds me of early day MTV, back when it was about the music. Slipping Away by Dave Edmunds has been my most recent nostalgic D/L, even though I hear it on Classic Rewind every time I'm in the Jeep.

Don't you guys have some local teenager that you can hire one night a month so y'all can have date night?!

Wasn't MASH about the Korean War?

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger THIS IS ME....ONLINE said...

I haven't seen it in forever, but I remember "Good Morning Vietnam" as being a pretty good movie. Supposedly, we are suppose to watch/read/study these sort of things so that we will learn that war is more than martinis, funny docs and Klinger in drag. That is the theory anyway. I'm thinking that obviously either the theory is worthless or that you are not alone in avoidance. (Radar with his teddy bear was my favorite.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home