Friday, March 09, 2007

Coinkydinks and more coinkydinks

Well, I am sitting on the couch, watching that show on TLC where they make people buy new clothes, you know which one I mean, with the sound pretty much off. I hate this show, but darling wife is asleep with the remote in her hand, so sucks to be me. I am trying to be very quiet, as we have a baby who went to bed too early tonight and I don't want her to wake up now at 10:30 thinking naptime is over. So, I am having a glass of red wine (might as well finally empty the box in the garage since I don't know how long that shit actually keeps) and have nothing of value to say. We are going to Saskatoon tomorrow for the night. Well, first, Kelly has her swimming lesson and Kristen and I have our parent/child swimming thang, and then we are going to Saskatoon. The kids need pants, we need a Costco trip, and so we decided to just stay the night since the kids have this thing for hotels. They are so excited, it's like we are going to Disneyland. So they'll get to swim and get room service and they want to go to the bookstore, so it will be fun. Spending money we don't have, mind you, but it's both of our birthdays this month, so whatever.
I am sitting here with a smelly bag of garbage right behind me in the kitchen. I smells so bad, and I should really take it out, but my pants are off and it's most likely started to freeze outside and thus my step will be icy, and yada yada, so it's just going to sit here until bedtime, and then it's going in the garage. I'm sure you really care.
Did I ever tell you the weird thing about Margo's house? Well, as you know, Margo lives in Calgary, and when she finally bit the bullet to buy a house, she found a duplex. Now, since both my uncle and my aunt each had duplexes in Calgary when I was a kid, I kept thinking of their places when she talked about her house. We even laughed that I couldn't quite figure out what her house looked like when she described it or sent pictures because I said I kept thinking about my aunt's old duplex. So flash forward a year or two. Somehow Margo and I were talking again about her house and how I couldn't figure out what in the hell she was doing to it since I didn't understand what it really looked like, and I said "sorry, I always just think of my aunt's place on 'such-and-such Street' and she paused. Then she said 'my place is right off of 'such-and-such Street - what does her old place look like?" and so I said it was a blue duplex and it faced north or whatever and had windows in these spots and yada yada and she was all "OMG, it's right across the street from my house." So took a picture, and damned if it wasn't my aunt's old house. Of all the duplexes in Cowtown, she buys the one that is across the street from my aunt. Freaky. Or at least I thought so. It sort of weirds me out, really. This was the same aunt Margo met one time. We gave Margs a ride to Edmonton to see her family when we were going to St. Albert for Thanksgiving, where my aunt was living, and she had to wait at my aunts until her brother picked her up. This is the aunt who reminds me of Sylvia Browne. She lives in Surrey now (my aunt, not Sylvia), but she lived in that duplex for probably 15 years, back when she was a single mom, and even after she remarried. She then sold the duplex in about 1982 or so, when her husband, who was a fancy-dancy car salesman, was doing really well, so they bought a house in the south end of Cowtown, right by that South mall there - the one with the wave pool. This was back when that was the southern limits of Calgary. Seriously, it was like fields beyond the ball. Anyway, they bought this house in Maple-something or other, and spent 40 grand, which was a lot in those days, remodelling the basement with their grande bar, stereo, built in soda fountain, regulation pool table, the 8ooo dollar pool table light, etc. They had a Jag in the late 70's, and they still had it then, with this little tv you hooked up to the lighter. Anyway, right after all of this, some sort of crash hit Cowtown, and real estate went in the shitter and nobody could afford luxury cars, which is what he sold, so they went belly up. And all anyone could say was "Sylvia should have kept that duplex, she had it all paid off".
Don't worry, Sylvia did ok for a while after that - they ended up in St. Albert which was suspiciously like Knot's Landing back then, before St. Albert got all popular, and her hubby was successful at City Ford, but then someone that all went to shit and they ended up back on their feet in Cowtown, but then they didn't like the size of Cowtown anymore or the cold or snow or something weird and ended up in Surrey, which to me is the armpit of B.C., but whatever blows smoke up your knickers, I guess.
Anyway, this long, drawn out story is just to say it's one hell of a coinky-dink that Margo lives across from Sylvia's old duplex, where I would either sleep in the bedroom facing her house, or the livingroom.
Anyway. What other coinkydinks can I think of? Let's see...
Well, one is back when I was in my old job and became friends with "Sharon". We're like brother and sister, and we acknowledge that. In fact, her brother and sister call me their brother from another mother. But anyway, we have a bond in 80s music, and she was saying she loved the song "Melody", a little known Canadian song from about 84 or so by Boy's Brigade (we think), and she was singing it one day, because it sounds sort of funny, and I was all "OMG, I forgot about that one." So then, she came over one afternoon to see one of our babies, and we had MuchMoreMusic on and what comes on? "Melody." Freaked the ever-loving shit out of us. We couldn't even talk about it because it was so weird.
What else.... what else..... Well, the woman who bought our old house, in our conversations during the wheelin' dealin', says that she lived in this small town of 700 that my parents lived in during the 60s, and it turns out her dad was someone my parents know very well.
I now work with a woman who is from my mother's hometown and one of her best friends was my deceased aunt's best friend, the aunt who died in 1966 and who my mother will never talk about (her bizarre nature, God love her - anything painful or unpleasant, never speak about, or acknowledge you HAD A SISTER OR PARENTS WHO ARE DEAD - oops, bitterness is showing, I better try to squeeze another glass outta the box). Anyway, next time I am in Saskatoon for the day for work, we are going to try to get together with this woman. Cool.
Anyway, I can't think of any more and I am not saying anything of any interest, so I am going to go and google people from grade school.
Have a good weekend people,
xo

2 Comments:

At 11:31 PM, Blogger Chunks said...

Google people from grade school. OMG. You are MY brother from another mother, mine being Courtney Love LOL@!

I'm so tired, spent the day running and Murphy saved me from total mental collapse.

 
At 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats what the gyrrls used to call each other..
Sister from another mother..
lol
you should buy your aunts old duplex and we could be neighbors, you could fix it up to the grandeur of yesteryear

 

Post a Comment

<< Home