Wednesday, February 21, 2007

It's beginning to look a lot like Lent, every where you go

Ok, it is now Lent and I want to give up something. You think I could give up sweets? As in no candy, ice cream, or anything else that makes life worth living? I think I'll keep gum though. Apparently, some people do it so that Sundays are "off" because of... well, I dunno....
hmmmm, but is that selfish of me to give that stuff up because I am trying to diet anyway? Should I throw wine in there? Wine, chocolate, ice cream, and candy? I had some jawbreakers today, but I guess I just will forget it.
Why am I thinking of doing this you ask? I don't go to church. I haven't for years and years and years. But I do pray. And I do long for a more spiritual life. So a sacrifice during Lent should give me pause to think. I did Lent once or twice as a teenager. Sharon always gives up things like sweets, or potatoes, or bread or something really hard to give up. I feel guilty because I don't want to give up my diet dr. pepper, my daily coffee or tea, or sex, and I mean, those are probably the hardest to give up. So is my candy and wine thing just sort of an empty thing? Oh I don't know....... Anyway, whatever, I'll stop talking about it and although Lent began today, maybe I'll wake up in the morning and just know what I am doing.
Well, I bet nobody was expecting this post, in light of all the bald Britney material out there just waiting for me to jump on. But you know, that makes me sad, ultimately, because really, when you think of it, she's done sweet bugger all for years, and yet people are still following her every time she hits McDonalds. Like, why in the hell should we even care? Anyway, whatever.
Hey, anyone know what software you download so you can save youtube stuff? Someone told me and I forgot.
Anyway, gonna fly now. TTYL.
JT

3 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Blogger Chunks said...

Kirah asked me today what I was giving up for Lent. She always gives something up. One year, she had just gotten her Gameboy and was totally addicted, but she gave it up. Of course, on Easter Sunday, she was hitting it pretty hard and I had to laugh.

I tried to give up swearing one year. Yeah. The kids still laugh about it. I think I lasted a half an hour. Then I swore then when I realized that I swore I said Fuck. So it was hilarious.

I don't think God cares if you give up jawbreakers for Lent. I think the whole point of Lent is to remember that we are undeserving and that Jesus died because we are all assholes. I think you should buy coffee in the drive thru at Tim's every day for the car ahead of you until Easter. That is really what God wants...everyone to just be nicer.

 
At 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you all Catholic?? Didn't know that. Sage, Darla and I were discussing it at lunch yesterday. Of course I feel like I am some pagan b/c I am United, and really that has got to be the most laid back church there is.. lol
I said I would give up bananas, but really that doesn't count b/c I am allergic, but really it doesn't matter b/c I am not catholic.. oh well.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger JT said...

no, I'm not, and most Christian denomonations follow Lent, but only voluntarily. Anglicans are right into it, and Lutherans, and United too. But for the Catholics, I think you have to otherwise it's a mortal sin.
But yeah, I know more non-Catholics than Catholics who follow it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home