Wednesday, January 17, 2007

It is what it is.... and it is BRILLIANT!

I have so much to say and just no motivation to say it right now. It's been quiet on the old JT front simply because I think I have a case of the January sleepies - you know, the syndrome that hits you during the longest month of the year where all you want to do is sleep? So, I still have to write about the blizzard and the cold snap, and my anger at three institutions: McLean's Magazine, the CBC National News, and the Weather Network. However, those are each different posts, so they will most likely have to wait until the weekend. I am just dropping a short hey before I head to bed. The rest of my family appears sleeping, and I think I'll join them soon.
I watched American Idol last night and tonight. Let me just say that my main displeasure with the show was seeing Jewel of all people as a guest judge for the first episode. Jewel? WTF? And you know what? She's a bitch. I mean, it's not like we never knew that before, but still, she's a bigger bitch than Charles Nelson Riley. So first up was this poor girl who is a make-up artist at the Mall of America, and you just know that the poor thing is going to be a train wreck. And she was such sweet girl, too. But anyway, Jewel is her favorite singer, for some fucked up reason obviously - too much Max Factor has gone to her brain and rendered her hearing dyslexic or something - and whammo, Jewel is a judge. So she goes in there and sings that stupid fucking Jewel song, you know, the one where she's rambling on and on about making the eggs and the pancakes and the frigging maple syrup - that one. So, she sucks, and they tell her, and the poor thing cries like a baby, and the fitting thing would be for Jewel to get off her fat ass and go give the poor girl a hug. You know, spend 30 seconds of your life on this girl who probably has spent good make up money on Jewel's cds and that hideous book of "poetry". Sadly, bitchface can't get off her criticizing ass to give the poor girl a hug and tell her to keep dreaming, and to thank her for being such a fan that she is singing her songs. No, that Alaskan myth-maker just sits there. Oh, I was so mad. I mean, she ain't no Xtina or whoever the kids like nowadays. She's probably one step away from living in her fucking van again, and she's probably going to have to sell this new album out of the back of said truck, because honey, ain't nobody gives a shit anymore. So you would think she'd like to keep the fan happy. Well, you thought wrong. Stupid bloody wanker.
Oh, and then, there are like 2 or 3 really good contestants, and everyone is all "yeah, that's good dawg" and whatever, and Jewel would say "you were pitchy in the middle" or "I didn't like the change in register" or whatever. Again, WTF? Since when is Jewel Maria Callas? Good lord, my frigging cat can make that "hoooh hoooooh" whining sound she does in that song about the breakfast, you know, when it's the chorus. News for you Jewel - you sound like my cat when the door to the cat box is shut. So here she is dispensing advice when really, she should just sit down, shut up, and concur with everyone else. Good Lord, Paula could sing better than her, and isn't Paula's voice all machine amplified and such? So that pissed me off. And I don't know, do we even buy all that crap about living in her van?
I have to admit a secret shame. It's very shameful. If you would go into my basement and search in the cd cabinet thingy, you would find..... a Jewel CD. In my defense, it probably hasn't been listened to. It was obtained, see, after watching a particularly moving episode of Party of Five, when... oh, I don't remember their names..... the guy who never shaves and the girl who was either a psychologist or a manic-depressive, I don't remember, had a premie baby, and they played "Hands" and I was all into that episode, so when like that week I received from Columbia House "Spirit" by Jewel, because I unfortunately didn't send the reply card back saying I didn't want the selection of the month, well, I kept it. As my infatuation for Party of Five was short lived, the cd has sat there, for a good 7 years or so. But I needed to be upfront with y'all in case you were ever here and saw it and the jig was up.
So that is my venting for the evening.
Oh, and my sweet 5 year old has a loose tooth. How does that happen so fast that she's getting that big? I got sort of choked up. I think I am overtired.
OH, and one more thing. CARLY was on Oprah yesterday, WITH BEN AND SALLY! Do you people know how much I love Carly Simon???? I LOVE HER. And her son Ben sounds so much like his daddy it freaks me out. I had a bunch of his stuff downloaded before. He is so good. And damn, he was funny on the show. And I've never actually heard Sally sing, but she's striking. But here's the kicker. Do you remember me saying here over and over that each of our kids' has at least one song and it's what we would sing to them when they were little and it would mean something? Well, Kristen's middle name is Taylor, after James Taylor, and her song was "You Can Close Your Eyes", a gem of a song. Well, I admit I am partial to the live duet of Joni and James singing it in the early 70s in London that is kicking around on the internet, but the album version is awesome, and what does Carly and her kids sing???? THAT SONG. So I was happy as a pig in the proverbial shit.
Anyway, Carly and her kids are the shit. When I was young, I used to fantasize about hanging out with James and Carly on the Vineyard. I was really a strange kid, wasn't I?
Anyway, I guess I better run now. I'll save my other posts for the weekend. Of course, we are going out on Friday night to our neighbors, but Saturday I should be here with bells on.
xo
JT
P.S. You have to go to youtube and watch Paula Abdul drunk or high on this Seattle morning show. It's the funniest damn thing - my favorite nonsensical line of hers is "it is what it is... and it is brilliant!" Trust me, you have to watch it;.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home