Monday, January 08, 2007

Here's a Song, Instead of a Kiss

Ok, I don't want to admit that I actually really dig some of Corey Hart's stuff, but ok, I love "Eurasian Eyes". That one and a song called "Wait for Me" from Boy in the Box. There is something just so achingly romantic about those for me, and when I hear them, I get that sort of rapid heart romantic thing happening, you know what i mean? Sort of nostalgic. They remind me of warm winter chinooky nights. However, I must admit I can't remember what Wait for Me sounds like because it's been so long. But those songs I put in the same class as, say, Sade's "The Sweetest Taboo", which as I've mentioned ad nauseum here, is one fine sexy-ass song. It doesn't get any better than that one, with the drums that sound like an accelerated heart beat, and the rain sounds, and oh, that sexy "will you keep on lovin' me!?!" MMMMM mmmmmm, damn baby. Sade's "Your Love is King" is also one that I think is the cat's ass in terms of that warm romantic sexy feeling, but TST is the king. Another song I'd throw in that category and lump with the rest is "Slave to Love" by Bryan Ferry. Fuck me Dorothy, that's one nice song, isn't it? I remember it was included in the movie 9 1/2 Weeks, but I loved it before then. Ah, good times. Now I want to make a cd of all of those goodies.
Of course, Chris Issac's "Wicked Game" is probably the sexiest damn thing on wheels, too. Kim Mitchell's "All We Are" is lumped in with all of these songs that I love, but that one is depressing. But, somehow, it fits in there for me.
But back to duck lips Corey. I really love his song "Take My Heart" too. Damn Corey, what happened? We should still be listening to you and Luba, and 54-40 should have been huge and not ended up a glorified bar band.
Do you Canadians remember all the Canadian Content crappola we were forced to listen to in the 80s on the radio? I say crappola, because it really was, but it was good crappola. I really like lots of it, but probably for sentimental reasons.
But do you all remember Alfie Zappacosta? He sang "We Should be Lovers", and 'You're just a Phase I'm Going Through" among others?
And what about Boys Brigade and "Melody" and Tokyo Rose? What about Paul Janz and all that schlocky bullshit, like "Believe in Me" and "Every Little Tear you Cry" and so on? Gotta love Cat's Can Fly's "Flippin' to the A Side", and One to One's "I've got an Angel in my pocket", "Hold Me Now" and whatever else it was they sang? Or the Partland Brother's "Soul City"? The Terri Crawford Band's remake of .38 Special's "One Time for Old Times"? Prototype's "Video Kids"? Marilu Zahalen's "Just One Turn of the Wheel"? Sherry Kean's "I Want You Back?" Lisa Dalbello's fucking creepy "I Wanna Close to You?" Men Without Hat's minor hits like "Where do the boy's go" and "I got the message"? Andrew Cash's "What am I gonna do with these hands"? Tim Fehan's "Where's the Fire? (a damn good song, please tell me you remember it), Grapes of Wrath's "Misunderstanding" and "Peace of Mind", Chalk Circle's "April Fool" and "This Mourning", Barney Bentall's "Crime Against Love" and Something to Live for, the Jitter's "The Last of the Red Hot Fools" and that slow song they sang, what was it.... The Bridge is Burning, wasn't that them? Or the Razorback's "So Much Fun", Candi's Dancing Under a Latin Moon", "Under your Spell", and "Love Makes No Promises", those ugly girls in Tu, those pretty girls in Lava Hay, "Turn Your Face Away" from the Waterwalk, "Call it Love" from Images in Vogue, all the Spoons classics like "Nova Heart", "Old Emotions", "Tell Know Lies", and "Romantic Traffic", Toronto's great ones like "Start Tellin' the Truth", "Your Daddy Don't Know", "Even the Score", "Girls Night Out", "Enough is Enough", "All I Need", "Ready to Make up", and I am sure there are more. Or how about the Headpin's classic "Don't it Make Ya Feel", "Celebration", "Breakin' Down", "Winnin", and "Turn it Loud!" We also must mention Helix's "Rock You", "Deep Cuts the Knife", "The Kids are all Shakin'"...... Good times.
I was never big on Jane Siberry as an album artist, but I loved her singles, like "Mimi on the Beach", "One More Color" and "Bound By the Beauty". Of course, probably one of the best radio singles EVER recorded in ANY country is Martha and the Muffin's "Echo Beach". It doesn't get any better than that one, and I love the off-shoot, M + M's "Black Stations/White Station" and "Cooling the Medium". There was drivel in those days, like New Seduction's "Love in Motion", but there was genius, like Dan Hill's "Love in the Shadows". My favorite Anne Murray songs were from the 80s, "That's Not the way it's S'posed to Be" and "Now and Forever". And how about Bruce Cockburn's 80's stuff like 'The Trouble with Normal", "Lovers in a Dangerous Time", and "Tokyo"?
Anyway, these are a few of the highlights of those years. I didn't even include Platinum Blonde or Blue Rodeo..... How many of those do you remember? Do you have anything to add? Take me back to your A.M. Radio days.

1 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

where ya be??
Oh I think Paula was drunk again during last nites show.. YOu would think they would boot her and send her to rehab..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home