Monday, July 04, 2005

The News, FINALLY - Now Calm Down!

LOL, well, I guess I shouldn't have put the "major fucking news" in the Friday post, since I got everyone all riled up. However, I was a frigging mess at that time so I just had to spill it. Now, it's nothing earth shattering - I'm not getting a sex change operation or anything like that, but still, I am all freaked out again at the moment. Now, it's a long story, which I'll get into tomorrow night why I am doing this, and it's not really interesting to anyone but me, but here goes: I got offered a different job, and I do believe I am accepting the offer. Wait, it gets better. The job starts in 2 weeks, so I have to give my notice tomorrow, and means I have no holidays. It also means I have to leave the place I love and all the people who are like my family. It also means that I will be going from a permanent position to a one year term position, which they think will be renewed but it was also explained to me why it just might not be (long complicated story I won't go into). But I am taking it nevertheless.
Now, you are asking why I am leaving the place I love. I can't really get into all the details because then I'd basically be giving away where I worked, and I really don't want to, but I should give some background. I never even posted that I applied for this other position, like over a month ago, nor did I post that I had an interview two weeks ago, and nor did I post that two of my references called me last week and told me they were called by the potential employer. Nor did I ever post that this position is the one I have ALWAYS wanted, way back when I was a student - I used to say "Man, I wish I had so and so's job there". Never told about this stuff. It was frigging killing me, but I didn't even want to get into it. Margo doesn't even know about it, nor about all the shit going down at my work. But I'll give you the Coles Notes version (that's Cliff Notes to you Americans).
I work for an Indian organization, which right away complicates things because of all the politics involved in everything. Until you've been there, I can't explain it. But nevertheless, it's been the best place to work. We really are like family. There are three locations of my workplace, and we are the northern unit and get to stay completely out of the fray of the politics down south. They all just think we are slack-jawed yokels. But anyway, I've been there 5 years, and have a permanent appointment as of this winter. However, the politics have suddenly intruded in a terrible way, and since February, it's been very traumatic. A few key people in senior management were fired, literal goons were brought in, people were replaced by family members and friends of politicians, you name it. People have been so traumatized and stuff, and it's been terrible, but we have been left out of it. However, all of this stuff has led to huge cuts in our funding, because we seem so unstable, and until we get some funding finalized, rumour has it we will not be able to pay our bills by mid July AND we might not even get paid by the end of the month. So that's news I've been sitting on for months. Also, this political interference has shown that our unions are not being honoured by the powers that be, and we all know that these folks would love to begin the process to decertify the unions. Out of Scope people have already faced the chopping block, and so while I am a permanent employee, I don't feel safe, because if they ever want some of us out, they'll find a way. So it is with weighing all of this that I think I should take the chance on the other job - same kind of work I do now, a little more money, but more hours and no flex time like I have now. But I just have to do it I think, because I have lost so much faith in my workplace now, that I just feel stressed each week when more and more stories hit the media and more rumours fly. So, I was so excited when I got the call Thursday afternoon, but then I started mourning right then and there and got all weepy like some girl (sorry, that sounds sexist, but I am too tired to think of another saying, and am too lazy to backspace and delete it), and I feel all sick right now. I don't know how I'll tell Sharon because she always says "if it wasn't for you, I couldn't do it here" and we are short staffed and have a hiring freeze on and I do SO much. Seriously, I took on all I could to make myself indispensible, and I know I am not, but when you plan on leaving in a week, it ain't gonna happen that I train someone else there about all the shit I do. But then as my friend told me today, it's not my job to worry about the institution. I've got my family to think about, which is why I am not going down with the ship. I will ask for a leave of absence for the year, but I doubt I'll get it because they will be pissed at me. Anyway, that's the news. Also, a little nervous about the new job, as I will be on my own - I will have 1/2 time administrative assistant help, but otherwise, I am it - everyone else is in Saskatoon. Where I will be located is where my old office used to be, actually, so I will know a few people to see them, but I dunno, I will be alone, where right now, I have to tell 3 people that I am going down the hall to take a piss.... Ah, but anyway, it will work out.
So, that's it. Sorry for the blah post but I am in a blah mood thinking about all the hard conversations I will have to have tomorrow and all the anger that will be directed at me, and oh fuck, I don't want to think about it....
LOL, SOH, sorry, I didn't get any, and I don't even wish I was - that's how I am feeling now.
Oh man, I'll be better tomorrow once I just get it out. Ignore me until then.
I'll blog later about the weekend that was.
xo
JT

7 Comments:

At 11:58 PM, Blogger cutie1964 said...

Wow! Lots of weight on your shoulders right now! Change is one of the hardest things to do & accept - I think your instincts are leading you in the right direction - stay strong, Bud!
Cheers!
Heather

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger cutie1964 said...

PS! We do have a Save-on Foods but it's not as good as the ones in BC!! Jimmy Pattison is everywhere! Even owns at least one of the radio stations here! Rox & I enjoy playing "detective" - don't reveal your true identity too soon!
Sweet dreams!
Heather

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FINALLY!!!

Well, I have to say, although I don't have a job, nor have I had one in this decade, I totally understand what you are going through. My hubby has had to make life-altering job changes that sent him into a tailspin just last year! I will tell you what I told him...

If you have to be somewhere for 40 or 50 hours a week, it better be somewhere that you are going to be happy! If you feel that the new job is going to be even just a smidge better than your current job, then you have to take it! It will be scary and you will feel like crap for the next two weeks when people are treating you differently once you have given your notice, but you have to do what is going to make YOU happy.

It sucks about the holidays and about Sharon, but you have to look long-term at what is going to make you happy.

Good God, I sould like Susan Powter! See what hanging on the edge of my seat has turned me into?!

Good luck tomorrow, I am sure everything is going to work out. Oh and do you wanna stop NOT telling us about stuff? Like, I would have loved to read about your interview, or that you applied for the job. Like GOD JT, you think you are entitiled to your privacy or something?! Hahahah! (Just because I don't have any boundaries, that is how I think the rest of the world should be...LOL!)

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Ottawa Pocket Watches said...

Good luck as you start to navigate your new path! Change is hard, scary and...ultimately good. Even it if doesn't work out the way you expect (and things rarely do), it's still a learning experience.

Things will settle down and soon you'll be begging for "some". I pity the fool!

 
At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you shut the comments off on your latest post, well, I'm just gonna post here!!!

Hm. I wasn't going to blow sunshine up your ass tonight! Take the damn job and quit whining! Don't look back!! Pack your shit and get outta Dodge! Tell Sharon to quit putting you on a guilt trip, it is easier for her to blame her job unhappiness on you leaving than to take responsibility of her own destiny. You are forgetting one simple thing...you must breathe.

Oh and don't ever take advice from me because I am totally full of shit. I would be bawling my frigging head off, just as you are.

I sent you some Ativan but it got mailed back, apparently JT PA,SK isn't enough for Canada Post!!

Did you read Margo's blog where I told her I figured the true names of Rachel/Rochelle?? That is good for a laugh, no?

Keep your chin up, ya big hearted softie! Things will be okay. Would I lie to you?

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger cutie1964 said...

Ya - what Rox said!And she says it way better than me! Be free, my friend - you and yours are the only ones who count!

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, sorry I have been absent through all this drama.. Didn't have time at the kinkos to read other blogs..
Stay strong my friend.. people will get over it. Don't take it personally, change affects people in different ways. The new job sounds awesome..

M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home