Monday, April 25, 2005

Songs I Have Sang Wrong and Other Abnormalities of my Social Being

So I've gotten many song lyrics wrong throughout the years, but I am going to admit here my most glaring one. I didn't think it was all that big of a hoo-ha, but i guess it is. For like 28 years, I've enjoyed Hotel California. I've owned it on vinyl as a child, 8-track as a child, cassette as a teenager, and cd as an adult. I listen to it quite often still. Yet, I never realized I had the lyrics wrong until about 2 months ago, whilst driving around at noon. So, here it is, my error:

Hotel California - Instead of "On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair", I have been singing, for almost 30 years, "On a dark desert highway, combing my hair" - you know, pronounced drawn out, "co-wim-ing". Yes, I am a loser.

Sweet Baby James by James Taylor - Love James Taylor. My second daughter was given the middle name Taylor after him, Keryn's favorite song was "only One" as a baby, and I own almost every JT album. That's also where the nickname from the blog comes from. Anyway, the lyric is "deep greens and blues are the colors I choose" and I always sang "BEET GREENS and blues".... yeah, I know, wtf....

"The Weight" by the Band (I think Laura Nyro wrote it, didn't she?) - anyway, the song opens "I pulled into Nazareth, I was feeling about half-past dead" and I thought it was "Pulled into Nazareth, was feelin' 'about half-past ten"....

I also thought Bruce's/Manfred Mann's "Blinded By the Light" said "wrecked up like a douche, you know the roller in the night" instead of "Deuce".

I thought "Lay Down Sally" was "Way Down South" and that Clapton and those women just put some spin on the South and said "way down south-ey"... I was like 9, so that's ok.

I also thought Robbie Dupree's "Hot Rod Hearts" was "Hard Rock Hearts" - man I love that song - brings me back to my childhood.

Also, "Fool's Overture" by Supertramp - we've had that in my house since I was like 8, yet I always thought the ending said "rip it up, shake it up, wash your legs" but it's really "Live it up, Rip it up, why so lazy" - LOL always had the visual of lathered up legs when I heard that one.

Finally, i thought James Taylor's "Mexico" said "I married Carly, she's got the sleepy eye" instead of "Americano" - the "I married Carly works, since he WAS married to Carly, but I was always thinking "she doesn't have sleepy eyes" - I love Carly by the way - damn baby.

My dearest Margo as a child thought "I Shot the Sheriff" was "I shot the sherry", Terrence Trent Darby's "Sign Your Name" was "Silently, You Crossed My Heart", and we had a friend who thought Nazareth's "My White Bicycle" was "My White Seagull". Rachel thought Melissa's "I Wanna Come Over" said "I wanna come over, to help with the concert plans" instead of "to hell with the consequence". Finally, I had a friend whose mother got all worked up when we were listening to Van Halen's "Panama" - she thought Dave was saying "reached down in between my legs, eased the SEED back" instead of "Seat". LOL, now THAT would be a good pick-up line - "hey baby, I wanna hook up and ease the seed back...."

Why am I telling you this? I don't know. I am all out of Connie Chung quips tonight.
Margo, I would like to conduct an experiment, since we had "New Moon on Monday" so wrong - let's pick a Duran song and then just write out what we THINK are the lyrics and post them, and then check and see how wrong we were. You'll have to give me a day or so to find and dust off the Duran cds.
Anyone else have any good song screw ups?
Going up to bed, have a wonderful tuesday
xo
JT
p.s. - you know, wrecked up like a douche is no harder to understand than "deuce"

3 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, don't feel bad lil buddy. I thought it said Douche as well. And I was thinking wtf? Why would he be talking about feminine hygiene products..

Gotta run. meeting in 5min.

 
At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy crap JT, you have a mini following, up to 646 page loads... lol I am jealous I only have 465.. Ok now the battle is on.. I am going to have a blog telethon.. instead of ring those phones I will be chanting click that Link , click that link...
lol

Oh have you seen Ro's new blog.. ?

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to thing that Bruce Springsteen was singing "Is that you baby? Or just a bridge in the sky-uhuh-eye" turns out it was BRILLIANT DISGUISE! Also, when Wide Mouth Mason released their last album, I thought the lyrics were "My old cell phone, my new cell phone" It says "My old self would my new self won't..."--turns out I wasn't the only one!
I love the bit Ellen Degeneres does about mis-heard song lyrics! There is also www.kissthisguy.com to check out. (I think that is what it is) The Manfred Mann "Douche" version is what I thought it was too...HAHA!
Oh Joni was in the news today talking about how she is really not impressed with the music business and their manufacturing of talent. I can send you a link if you missed it!
God, JT I love how you blog...you are so funny!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home