Thursday, March 22, 2007

Ode to Myrtle Anderson, Survivor, and the 1985 top 10 - it all fits together somehow, frighteningly

Whoa, it's really late. I didn't realize that. And, I've had some computer mishaps tonight - namely, writing comments and then losing them. And opening web pages, and then they close. All because of my stupid mouse, which is tangled up in the cord, and yada yada, it falls, I lean over, things go missing, I say the F word, then I pause to see if I woke up any children, and on it goes. It's the Circle Game, really.
Just poured myself a glass of Jesus Juice, and I am wondering if it's actually good. You see, it's sort of sparkling and I don't know if it is supposed to be sparkling. My father in law gave me a handful of bottles last night. He makes oodles of wine. Anyway, I don't recall ever having anything sparkling, but this stuff has a kick, in terms of bubbles. I guess you could say it's effervescent - just like me ! Let me tell ya, Martha Rae would have loved to have me in her mouth! HAHAHAHAHA.... Oh, that's so horrible. It's the two sips of Jesus Juice talking, really.

So on a more serious note, Joni Mitchell's mom died, the infamous Myrtle Anderson. She was 95, so it isn't like it was something totally unexpected, but still, I feel sad. Yes, that's me, sad for the death of someone I don't know. Go figure. But I guess it's because Myrtle features so prominently in Joni's songs, that she sort of has been an undercurrent in the music. Also, since one of my favorite Joni songs is "Let the Wind Carry Me", in which Myrtle was really called out.

Papas faith is people
Mama she believes in cleaning
Papas faith is in people
Mama shes always cleaning
Papa brought home the sugar
Mama taught me the deeper meaning

She dont like my kick pleat skirt
She dont like my eyelids painted green
She dont like me staying up late
In my high-heeled shoes
Living for that rocknroll dancing scene
Papa says leave the girl alone, mother
Shes looking like a movie queen

Mama thinks she spoilt me
Papa knows somehow he set me free
Mama thinks she spoilt me rotten
She blames herself
But papa he blesses me
Its a rough road to travel
Mama let go now
Its always called for me

Sometimes I get that feeling
And I want to settleAnd raise a child up with somebody
I get that strong longing
And I want to settleAnd raise a child up with somebody
But it passes like the summer
Im a wild seed again
Let the wind carry me

And it's that honesty of the whole parent/child relationship, warts and all, that I really admire. This song is from like 1972 I think, 72 or 73, I can't remember, but then fast forward 20 years, when Joni is in her FIFTIES, and she documents her relationship with her mother again. Joni left her husband, and took up with this, well, raggamuffin who I can't stand, but that's beside the point, named Don Freed, from Saskatoon. Mama didn't approve and had a hissy one Christmas, which is documented here (Margs, she's singing about the Bessborough here)

I went so numb on Christmas day
I couldn't feel my hands or feet
I shouldn't have come
She made me pay
For gleaming with Donald down her street
She put blame on him
And shame on me
She made it all seem so tawdry and cheap

"Oh, let's be nice, Mama, open up your gifts
You know, happiness is the best facelift"

I mean, after all, she introduced us
Oh, but she regrets that now
Shacked up downtown
Making love without a license
Same old sacred cow
She said, "Did you come home to disgrace us?"
I said, "Why is this joy not allowed?
For God's sake, I'm middle-aged, Mama
And time moves swift
And you know happiness is the best facelift"

Oh, love takes so much courage
Love takes so much shit
He said "You've seen too many movies, Joni"
She said "Snap out of it!"

Oh, the cold winds blew at our room with a view
All helpful and hopeful and candlelit
We kissed the angels and the moon eclipsed
You know, Happiness is the best facelift

We pushed the bed up to the window
To see the Christmas lights
On the east bank across the steaming river
Between the bridges lit up Paris-like
This river has run through both our lives
Between these banks of our continuing delights
Bless us, don't let us lose the drift
You know, Happiness is the best facelift.

So, through the span of her career, Joni writes out her relationship with Myrtle. And as an only child, Joni was so well-supported - she was the cat's ass. The one thing that really touched me was last year, when the Mendel gallery in Saskatoon did an exhibit called the Childhood of Joni Mitchell, where her mom put everything on display - childhood pictures, letters, poems, report cards, her prom dress - you name it, and attached to all of these things were notes written in Myrtle's neat handwriting.
It makes me pause to think of what our children can become when we give them all the support in the world, and let them feel like they really are the jewels in the sky. Joni and Myrtle may have had turbulence, but I know that she was such a proud parent and made her daughter believe that she was good, and could do, and supported her endevours, be it writing poetry, painting a picture, or what have you. So I learn from Myrtle. Mama might have always been cleanin', and disapprovin', but I know there was a part of her that thought "goddamn, go for it Joan!" (Myrtle would never say that, but subconsciously, I know she did).
SO here's to you, Mrs. Anderson, the Joni Mitchell community loves you more that you will know... whoa ooh oh.....

Question: I just posted lyrics to two songs. Did you read them or skip them? Go back and read them. It will take 30 seconds out of your busy lives. So do it and shut up.
But you know, I feel so old now. I turn 37 on Sunday. Fucking old. I feel like I should be calling my mom and saying "For God sake Mama, I'm middle aged and time moves swift, and you know happiness is the best facelift". LOL, I am like middle aged. I look 28 or so, I think, but I am middle aged. It all goes downhill from here.

Anyway, rest in peace, Myrtle dear. And hugs to you, Joan.

Ok, so Survivor. First off, drown all of those fucking men. Drown them. I really hate all that alpha male bullshit. Of course, that dude in the yellow shirt sort of got on my nerves just a little bit. And yeah, he might have been a little standoffish. But I mean, that ROcky bastard has to go. And for keeping HIM over the yellow shirt, well, they deserve a plague of locusts to descend upon them and chew holes in their nut sacks. THEN we'll see who's not getting laid for a year....
And that creepy butch girl on Exile - send her sorry ass home. She's some sort of creepy retarded Sue wanna-be. Send her home. And I can't stand the Chinese guy. Creepy and annoying and he needs to go home. I don't trust him. Face it. I don't like any of them.

For Amazing Race, I haven't watched this week's yet - still have it taped. So glad Romber is gone. Rob is another alpha male who I hate and who creeps me out. He can be so mean and horrible and violence always seems under the surface. he's like the kind who would torture someone. And Amber, well, she's just a non-lesbian Helen Hunt.
And Schmirna and Mirna? I still cheer for Schmirna because she's a midget, but Mirna is just awful and hateful. And instead of yelling at Schmirna, pick her the fuck up, hoist her in the crook of your arm, and run with her. Lazy bitch.

Tonight was such a beautiful night. Warm as hell, clear sky, all that. We were at the inlaws and I had a nice long hot tub with the kids. They live in the most beautiful space. Their backyard backs onto a park, which backs onto the river, so I had a view of the trees by the river, and the light in the west, and the cresent looking moon, and the stars, and this really bright star/planet/satellite or something. And freakishly, as soon as I saw that I started singing "Northern Star" by Hole in my head and it's still in there. Did I ever tell you, close friends, that Hole's Celebrity Skin is, indeed, one of my top 10 favorite albums EVER, of ALL TIME? It is. Believe it or not. It is such a good record. And on there is the song Northern Star, which everyone compared to Stevie Nicks, but I don't see it. Anyway, I never liked the song for years and now I love it. Malibu is probablymy favorite song on that album, which is about Kurt, but Northern Star worked tonight.

It's 11:51 and someone just JOGGED in front of my house. People are stupid.

Ok, just got out my Billboard Hot 100 Charts of the 1980's book, and this was the top 10 21 years ago, for the week ending March 23, 1985.
1.) Can't Fight this Feeling - REO Speedwagon
2. Material Girl - Madonna
3. One More Night - Phil Collins
4. The Heat is On - Glen Frey
5. Too Late for Goodbyes - Julian Lennon
6. Lover Girl - Teena Marie
7. Private Dancer - Tina Turner
8. High on You - Survivor
9. Only the Young - Journey
10. Relax - Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Do you have any particular memories to these you want to share? Here are some of mine:
Can't fight this feeling - think of Margo, because I found a tape of her singing this song acapella. It was hillarious. She was so mad.

Material Girl - think of this guy I went to school with, Jay something or other, can't remember right now, who was with me when I bought the tape from Eaton's. He's an RCMP now and does something with a police dog.

One More Night - no emotinal memory, just physical - I had the album and whenever I hear this song, I picture my old bedroom, my rickety dresser with lime green paint and big white knobs, with my Kenmore stereo on top, playing this song. I remember this song was the last song on side one. I think.....I know Sussudio was the first song on side two, DOn't lose my number was the first song on side one, and Take me home was at the end, or something.

The Heat is On - I hate that song. I dunno, reminds me of Beverly Hills Cop, a movie I wanted to see so bad, and I went with my sister and her friend Cheryl and her sister Lynne, and I didn't get it, didn't find it funny, but I faked laughter like crazy. Literally did these big guffaws.

Too Late for Goodbyes - I loved Julian Lennon's album Valotte. This song reminds me of being at my sister's house, the wartime low-rental, in winter, and listening to it there. I don't know why. It's that house we drank in that one time, Margo, when they were in B.C.

Lover Girl - that song was classic. Reminds me more of summer, hot, sweaty, unbearable summer heat. But it also reminds me how disappointed I was when I bought the album. The thing sucked. I just remember the next song was "Help Youngblood get to the freaky party" - oh, quelle horrible!

Private Dancer - freaky memory - my cousin "Michelle" in my aunt's basement, listening to that song over and over, sometimes with headphones, in Calgary. She was all model looking and dating Stampeders, and was all into this Black thing, much to my American uncle, her stepdad's, chagrin. I knew something was funny. The next year we found out these Black dudes she was with ended up to be pimps, and she was a hooker. Her mom found out when she read about a sting in the Herald. Michelle moved to Montreal, worked the streets there for years, and had kids with this thug homeboy. Moved back to Cowtown last year. She's in her mid 40s now. What a waste. So it always reminds me of her, that song, and her listening to it so intently.

High on You - I don't like this song, but was proud of them since they had a new singer, who wasn't part of the "Eye of the Tiger" bullshit.

Only the Young - from that movie Crazy for you was from - Youngblood? Wasn't it about Matthew Modine losing his virginity to some old broad? Reminds me of grade nine. The movie sucked. The song is cheesy but I can't resist Steve Perry. For some reason, I've known for 21 years that it peaked at number 9. My weird chart thing.

Relax - Loved this song. I always wanted a Frankie say Relax shirt. Linda G., this oddball in Drama class, had a Relax shirt, and I tried to borrow it from her, but I don't think she budged. But the song was banned in England, and I never really got it. Like, I never googled the lyrics, but what in the hell do they mean? "relax, don't do it, when you wanna suck to it?" WTF? And the don't do it, when you wanna cum? Don't do WHAT is what I've always thought. I still don't know. Maybe I should google the lyrics and perhaps I am missing something, but here I am, middle aged, and I've never relaxed, and not did it, when I've wanted to come.... Ah, I think they are crazy. Those damn brits.

Anyway, that's my long rambling post. Now I gotta get to bed.

TGIF peeps.
Yours til the bed spreads,
JT

4 Comments:

At 5:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol
' still cheer for Schmirna because she's a midget, but Mirna is just awful and hateful. And instead of yelling at Schmirna, pick her the fuck up, hoist her in the crook of your arm, and run with her. Lazy bitch.'
FIrst off I laughed b/c you called her a midget, then I spit my coffee out when you said to pick her up and run with her.. lol

Anyways, I hate both the bitches.. I am sick of hearing about how they fight the odds and keep making it.. whateva..

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My god, there's so much there to discuss. First of all, I missed Survivor this week and don't have it taped!! Rockey is a big asshole, I've hated him right from the start. I agree about Hole Celebrity Skin, I have it and it is amazing! I also loved Julian Lennon, Valotte. I have huge amounts of memories attached to that album. Oh and the whole Frankie thing, it means don't CUM when you want to, relax, last longer, be the sexual dynamo you know you are!!! Devo

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Chunks said...

Okay, I did read the entire post all the way through so I did NOT have to go back and re-read the lyrics. Joni's songs are so, um, simply complicated. Does that make sense? True poetry. Happiness is the best facelift.

Stop worrying about your age. Be proud you get another day above dirt! Plus, there is always someone older than you...me and Devo! If we ain't crones, neither are you.

I want a hottub at the acreage. I think I am going to ask for one.

Jullian Lennon. I loved him, still do. Valotte still gives me shivers.

Survivor reminds me of this guy I went out with before I met Darin. I actually dumped him once I had met Darin. Any Survivor song reminds me of him. Boston too. And some Fleetwood Mac. hm.

I love Relax and now I want to Google the lyrics.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger KB said...

"Run with her lazy bitch" Ah Ha Ha...I'm sorry but I hate them both. I'm so sick of hearing "But I can't". But it did crack my ass up to see her in the little armor suit trying to lead the horse.

I hate Survivor this year so therefore I haven't watched it. I watched the first two shows and hated the cast so there went my viewer ship.

I'm making a video to send it to Deal or No Deal. I'm sick of those stupid women on there giving women a bad name. We all don't act tasteless like that. Yeah like I would not act like a total retard.

Send me your email addy so I can add you to my private blog where I curse like a sailor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home