Friday, December 08, 2006

Blamin' it all on those nights on broadway

It's finally warming up peoples, and I am feeling nostalgic tonight. There is something about winter weather when it "chinooks" - I know we are too far east to actually call it a chinook, but same thing: the temperature spikes to freezing or above, and so it's a nice warmish feeling even when it's minus 2 and you think you could be in shorts. Anyway, there is something about this weather that I love, and always have since I moved here. And tonight, since it's not half bad outside, I am remembering winters past for some reason, and I realize that I sort of miss 20 years ago, Friday nights sitting in a coffee shop for 3 or 4 hours, drinking pots of coffee, smoking 15 cigarettes in the same amount of time, scoping out who was coming and going in said coffee shop - you see, we didn't spend every second partying. Indeed, many weekends this is what Margo and I did - we'd grab a different set of people and off we'd go, having coffee and smoking. Anyway, this weather brought me back to those times, and I am smiling wistfully here.
Yeah, so you can tell I have nothing to say tonight if I am sharing that tripe with you all. But suffice to say, I am nostalgic tonight. I dunno, it could be all the Fame I am watching. I am so addicted to the reruns. I need help.
Do you all remember back in the day when Rosie commented on Margo's blog and Soh's blog, and poor Soh almost soiled herself? And then that guy who I can't think of his name, you know, that one who wrote the book and he was a crossdresser and was in love with the crack whore and it had a goldfish on the cover? You know which one? Anyway, remember he commented on Chunk's blog? Well, I just realized I've had no star action. None. Maybe it's all the Fame I'm watching, but I wanna live forever too. So, my new experiment is to lure celebrities to the blog. How, you ask? Well, my fine little friends, I've got a plan. You know that the guy who went to Chunks found himself by an internet search. So, I am going to do short, random posts about celebrities that might be googling themselves. Obviously, the Tom Cruise's and Rosie O'donnell's won't be sitting there with their laptops on their laps whilst they sit on the shitter, looking for mentions of them outside of the internet movie database (IMDB.COM), so I am going to lure some celebs who may not be on the hit parade today, or who might not have made it all the way yet, but who are still wonderful nonetheless. I am thinking old sitcom players, I am thinking people who wrote obscure novels I might have, I am thinking people who had one or two songs in the top 40 20 years ago that they played bass on. I am just formulating the idea, but it's gotta be someone I can say something nice about. No, I am not a whore. This is all a grand experiment. I am a trendsetter! So don't worry if you see posts only talking about my deep appreciation for Ruthie from "Hello Larry" or the band Device for their song "Hangin' on a Heart Attack", which barely cracked the top 40 in the late 80s. If I can't BE Willie Ames, then I sure as fuck am going to get him to drop a line in here once in a while and tell us what it was like filming the soft core Blue Lagoon type movie Paradise with Phoebe Cates (where my 13 year old brain seems to remember was so "explicit" she was grabbing his knackers and he was kissing her bare boobies), or if he went to the funeral for Lani O'grady, who played his older sister Mary on Eight is Enough - I had such a crush on Mary, and then when I saw Lani was plagued by panic attacks, well, I loved her more.
So yeah, that's where this boat is going to sail. I am resisting the urge to begin with Donna Pescow, because I seem to talk about her too much as it is, and so it'll be creepy if I talk about her any more.
I mean really, I always wanted to start a magazine that was complete interview format, and completely a "where are they now" type of thing, without the pity - because I really AM interested. And hey, it might revive some careers - some agent will call up Michael Gross and say "hey, there is a guy in Saskatchewan who has written a 700 word ode to you and your skills, and he says you completely embodied a PBS station manager - let's get you into summer stock again." I'll fulfill their cavier dreams and champaigne wishes yet again!

Anyhoo, I won't start tonight, but keep your eyes peeled for it.
Happy weekend, you wonderful people, you.

2 Comments:

At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi JT. I googled myself and found your blog! I can't believe the wonderful things you always say about me, I mean, I thought people had forgotten me! It's amazing that you remember everything with such detail. You might not be Willie Aames, but dammit, you're the shit anyway!
-Yours truly,
Forever Donna Pescow

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Chunks said...

Holy crap, did I just miss THE Donna Pescow?

JT, you'd better watch it. Dr. Phil is going to google some stuff and find this blog and the next thing you know, you'll be in the nut house. Seriously!

Oh and you'd THINK with all the money in this province we would have clean roads. Sadly, we are just using the money to taunt the other provinces it would seem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home