Sunday, September 28, 2008

We are looking at a house on Monday. One we can't exactly afford, really. And it's the one we looked at in the spring, which I think I may have posted here, and you all said we'd be crazy because it needed too much work. But to reiterate, we love our house, but we have always said the only reason we'd ever move is if we could get a house on one certain street, which is a street right behind us. OR if we found a house with 4 bedrooms up. This is both on that certain street where nothing opens up, and has 4 bedrooms up. The main floor has 600 more square feet than we have now. That means no kids will have to eventually move to the basement. And we'd be facing the river, which is beautiful. But where we are now is perfect. It needs no work. We are spoiled. The house is like 6 years old that we are in. Completely finished except for the basement bathroom. Hardwood and ceramic tile upstairs. Maple cupboards. Big Pantry. Heated garage. Basement with heated tile floor. 3 bedrooms up, two down, 3 bathrooms. A yard we made beautiful.
But we are next door to a 500 square foot rental. We can see the river from the back windows, but that's still not the real deal as looking out on it. The street this other house is on is prime real estate. If someone had say 50 grand, it would increase in value like you wouldn't believe, if it just could be fixed up. This other house has a backyard that I swear is at least an acre of land. But we don't want to be house poor. We love our next door neighbors. My sister lives across the street. Our close friends are directly behind us. On the other hand, we'd still be in walking distance, down the riverbank path, to here. The kids wouldn't change schools. It would be quiet. The house next door to that one is probably a 600,000 dollar affair, so there is no danger of riff-raff. But can we live in a work in progress for years when now we need nothing? I doubt we could afford this place. But it is sticking in our craws. We thought it sold. So when we saw it in the paper with an open house the other day, we both got excited. Then we realized after a few hours that we were looking at LAST night's paper, and the open house was missed. My wife said "call the realtor", which is something she would never say. We can't stop thinking about it. Not to go all Pat Boone on you, but I am leaving it to God - if we are meant to be in this house, we will be, plain and simple, and he'll make it happen and lead us in the right direction. I believe all that hokiness I just typed. Because our last two houses fell in our laps. So if this is meant to be, it will to. And if not, we'll know it. And since the Mrs. is on Mat. leave, I don't know if they'd approve us for a new mortgage anyway. So we'll leave it with God.
I am also really distracted and upset this weekend. I've mentioned my Dr. here before and how I used to babysit his kids and how we've had this relationship with his family for 20 years. Well, there was a horrible crash on the highway the other day - two of his nephews perished in it, and it was a horrible crash, and they are such a close-knit family, it breaks my heart for them. I remember those boys when they were young. So when I heard on Friday afternoon, I was in shock, and then at work I sort of got a lump in my throat I couldn't swallow away because how do you bury two of your sons? They are a close family, an ultra-religious evangelical family, and I don't know how this tests someone's faith. And then I keep thinking that I am so angry that my 73 year old mother died, and then feel guilty and selfish because now they will bury their 2 young sons..... Anyway, shout out a prayer for all of them if you are the praying sort.
And my sister came over tonight and told me of a dream she had about mom. They were on the phone and mom said "I have three things to say to you - Bye bye, take care of Dad, and thank you for the baby" (which she took to mean MY baby). And as this is my sister who is a devout Christian who normally wouldn't share a dream like that, it sort of shook me today. Did I tell you about when we were deciding what song to put the funeral picture slideshow to? Well, nobody had any idea, so I said there were two I wanted for mine. I suggested "In My Life", the Beatles song, but the Judy Collins version. My sibs listened and liked it but I said there was also "Life is Eternal" by Carly Simon which I also wanted. So my sister came over and I put it on, and maybe one minute in the song, my stereo's volume shot up to full blast, like almost blowing the speakers. The remote was in the kitchen drawer and none of us were by the dial. We never all debriefed about it. I just said "weird, mom likes that one!" but now that I think about it, it gives me the willies in a way.
Anyway. I think this must be the most boring post. So I guess I'll go to bed.
Just finished Survivor. I loved me that old annoying lady. Ah well, they are all so stupid. The Japanese guy is such a dork. The gay guy who is in love with the doctor is so retarded. I dunno, it's a real strange bunch they have this time.
Anyway, holla.

2 Comments:

At 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry I didn't respond to your emails, I didn't even get a chance to see the MLS listing.. I say you will know if this is the house. If it is, go for it. It could be the house that your grandkids com over to for Xmas.. You have the next xx years to make it perfect.

Sorry to hear about your Dr's nephews, I can't imagine what that would do to a person.

Hugs to you and your moms memory.

M

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Rox said...

The house is STILL for sale from before?! What's wrong with this place? Call Mike Holmes. Seriously. Inspect the hell out of it when you go see it.

From what I could tell on the listing pictures, it just needs paint and some new fixtures. Paint is cheap! Don't ever let a home reno put you off, Margo and I can talk you through it...

Leave it in God's hands. I'm not even touching that one. LOL!

Did I ever tell you that at Derwood's mom's service, during the slideshow (which ran forever because little brother made a frigging epic movie for a slideshow) sparks flew and the extension cord they were using for the laptop EXPLODED! We figured she thought the slideshow was long enough too. It's weird how those things happen.

Death is always more tragic when it's a young person because not only are you mourning the person you lost but you are mourning for the potential of who they might have been. Your doctor's family is in my thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home