Sunday, January 29, 2012

Many songs, Many voices

So last night I was on itunes late at night, in a nostalgic mood for winter 1984/1983 era, with a little 1985 and earlier 1980s thrown in. It was a very specific craving. Usually when I am in an impulsive itunes nostalgia mood, I end up downloading albums. However, last night, I was determined to make a really nice, extensive list from this particular time. While I have tons of stuff from this era on my OTHER ipod, I unfortunately can't get it on my new ipod because the old ipod was on an itunes on my old computer, and I haven't been able to get that stuff off of that computer as of yet because it takes 4 fucking hours to frigging BOOT UP, and the mouse doesn't work, and yada yada. One day, I'll figure it out - but for now, I'll slowly build up the empire from the ground up.
Anyway, let me preface all of this that I wasn't under the influence of anything, so I can't blame anything on that, like I did the time I HAD to have the Scorpions and Big Country's Greatest Hits. Yes, Big Country. Yes, apparently they had more than one hit. Or so I thought at the time. LOL, I remember thinking that night "OH, they also had that GREAT song from some EP - I don't know what it's called, but i'm sure it'll be on the GH." I don't think it was. Basically, they are from a big country, wear kilts without any knickers, and eat sheep intestines. God bless the Scottish.

So, these are a few of last night's favorite things:
Kansas - "Fire With Fire"
Deep Purple - "Perfect Strangers"
Frida - "I Know there's Something Going On"
John Lennon - "Nobody Told Me"
Shannon - "Let the Music Play (12" mix)"
Olivia Newton John - "Twist of Fate"
Billy Squier - "Rock me Tonight"
Billy Squier - "The Stroke"
Chaka Khan and Rufus: "Ain't Nobody"
Chaka Khan: "Through the Fire", "This is My Night", "Stronger than Before"
Motels: "Remember the Nights"
Platinum Blonde: "Not in Love"
Corey Hart: "Waiting for You"
Corey Hart: "Eurasian eyes"
Rick James: "Cold Blooded"
Eddie Rabbit: "Someone Could Lose a Heart Tonight"

And then I added a bunch of stuff to the playlist that I already had. You know, those 80s bands must thank the Lord each and every day for the invention of the mp3 and the internet, because without these things, 40 s0mething year olds like me would have no late night outlet to purchase their music YET AGAIN to live out our nostalgic memories of listening to their music in our bedrooms with the cracked plaster and smoking contraband cigarettes, with our ashtrays resting on the radiator, while blowing smoke out of the window.

I added Michael Sambello's "Automatic Man" (it sounds so.... well... gay... but this song is so catchy)
-- Christine McVie's "Got a Hold on Me" and "Love Will Show Us How"
-- the Motel's "Only the Lonely", "Suddenly Last Summer", and "Shame"
-- Flock of Seagull's "Wishing" and "I Ran"
-- Depeche Mode "Everything Counts" (12 ")
-- Tony Carey "A Fine, Fine Day" & "The First Day of Summer"
-- Tina Turner "One of the Living" and her version of Robert Palmer's "Johnny and Mary"
-- Talk Talk "It's my Life"
-- Style Council "Shout it to the Top" and "My Ever-Changing Moods"
-- Stevie Nicks' "Nightbird" (which makes me think of my mom and always gives me the ugly cry), "Stand Back", and "If Anyone Falls"
-- Sheila E. "The Belle of St. Mark"
-- Manhattan Transfer "Spice of Life"
-- Los Lobos "Will The Wolf Survive"
-- Lindsey Buckingham "Go Insane"
-- joe Jackson "You Can't Get What You Want"
-- Joan Jett "Everyday People" & "Fake Friends"
-- Jackson Browne "Lawyers in Love", "Tender is the Night", "For a Rocker"
-- Human League "Fascination" and "Mirror Man"
-- The Fixx "Sign of Fire", "One Thing Leads to Another", "Saved by Zero", "Red Skies" "Less Cities, More Moving People", "Are We Ourselves?"
-- Def Leppard "Photograph", "Rock of Ages", "Foolin'"
-- Duran Duran "New Moon on Monday", Union of the Snake", "The Reflex"
-- Patti Labelle "New Attitude", "Stir it Up"
-- Marvin Gaye "Sexual Healing"
-- Marilu Zahalen "Just one Turn of the Wheel"
-- Anne Murray "That's Not the Way It's S'posed to Be"
-- Rolling Stones - "One Hit (To The Body)"
-- Robert Plant - "Big Log", "In the Mood"

I also downloaded the latest album from Marv and Rindy Ross of Quarterflash. I love those two. I picture myself as their pseudo-child, what with them being from the 80s and all. And they are from Oregon, my obsession.

Anyway, what have YOU downloaded lately?



1 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Rox said...

I was listening to Stevie Winwood yesterday and Chaka Khan did the backup vocals...Higher Love. Chaka. I was debating on Platinum Blonde on my last D/L bender, but I skipped them. I think I have Crying Over You, and that's it. They are no Toronto. LOL!

When I hear the beginning strains of I'm In The Mood, I get shivers. And isn't Style Council the BEST band name ever? Eurasian Eyes is my most favorite Corey Hart song ever. Doesn't A Fine Day just slay you? It's a sad song. Love it!

I'm still hungover from my last iTunes bender...hahah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home